Tuesday 23 June 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23-6-2020: Gangsters

23rd June, 2020.


Yep: it’s officially the case.

I have an interview, today: in Romford.

I’m … nervous, as ever.

And, frankly, right at the moment?   I’d rather not go.

That’s my self confidence for you … 

~≈§≈~

You’ll possibly have realised — over the years — that I’m something of a Mac fan: and one that’s been mildly critical of macOS Catalina.

There’s possible improvements coming: possible improvements.

As, at this year’s WWDC conference, Apple have announced the autumn release of macOS 11 Big Sur.

According to Wikipedia?   Should work on my machine.

Whether it’s an improvement … ?

Only time will tell.

~≈§≈~

Just as a final thing … ?

I’ve done another entry in my Digital Poverty articles.

Feel free to comment!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) John Gotti was jailed for life: on 23rd June of which year?
Q2) He was known as the Teflon … what?
Q3) Gotti was the boss of the what crime family?
Q4) Gotti, and his family, were one of the Five Families.   In other words, part of which criminal organisation: the Yakuza, Cartels or Mafia?
Q5) Finally … ?   Gotti’s family were based in which US city?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 22nd June, 1942, saw the US Congress adopt what: the Flag, the Pledge of Allegiance or the Dollar?
Q2) 22nd June, 1948, saw George 6th give up which title?
Q3) 22nd June, 1990, saw the dismantling of Checkpoint Charlie.   The Checkpoint was in which German city?
A3) Berlin.
Q4) 22nd June, 1929, saw the birth of Bruce Kent.   The former CND secretary general is a former what: Army captain, Roman Catholic priest or English professor?
Q5) Finally … ?   22nd June, 1936, saw the birth of singer and actor, Kris Kristofferson.   In which film did he play Martin ‘Rubber Duck’ Penwald?
A5) Convoy.
Here’s a thought …
“If there were more people like John Gotti on this earth, we would have a better country.”
Frank Locascio, Gotti’s deputy, speaking in court.
And a playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        It wouldn’t be the first time a celibate religious figure’s left the church for love, Olga: and that driver makes it seem like it won't be the last.   As much as my relationships have been up and down, I find single tougher.   And if you’re celibate as a form of religious devotion?   Well … !   (I think some argue the Catholic Church should reform it: if for no other reason than to increase the number of priests.   I get the feeling it’s a tough one to accept.)
I am seriously looking forward to catch El Ministerio, I really am!   So long as serve four gets an international airing — and Angustias doesn’t sing! — I’m laughing!
Woolf had a shed?   So did Roald Dahl, now you mention it!   Ian Fleming had an estate on the Caribbean coast of Jamaica, the swanky ol’ [insert your favourite insult here]!
Convoy’s a great tune, country or otherwise … but did you ever hear Convoy GB … ?   (You couldn’t get away with it, today!)


†        Hang on, Trevor, there’s a Colchester team?   What league are they in?


‡        I think that’s something that’s carried over from the original series, Debbi: both shows have been fantastic!   As I recall, Sam Mendes is heavily involved: the chap that directed Skyfall and SPECTRE?   And he did the ’93 revival of Cabaret, the one Alan Cumming got gongs for.   Penny Dreadful’s dark … but, lord, it’s got its moments!   (Fly Rico’s suit?   Wow!   Actually?   Did you ever see Blake’s Seven, Debbi?   Going on her performance as Rio, I keep thinking Natalie Dormer would be a good choice as Servalan in a revived version … )

4 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 1992

A2 Don

A3 Gambino

A4 Mafia

A5 New York City

Yes Colchester have a soccer team called Colchester United and after last night's loss in the play-offs they still play in League 2 of the English Football League (EFL). My team also "play" in League 2 of the EFL. Up The Iron.

Olga said...

Q1) 1992
Q2) The Teflon Don
Q3) The Gambino crime family
Q4) Mafia
Q5) New York
I see what you mean about the GB Convoy! Good luck with the interview. It all feels rather odd at the moment, it's not only you. Fingers crossed!
I'll check part three.

Debbi said...

I've only seen a couple of episodes of Blake's Seven.

These questions led me to check out the Ozone Park section of Queens, which led me to the Wikipedia entry for Queens! This is what the Internet does to me. One thing just leads to another and ... got to reign in my desire to learn stuff!

BTW, the "Foundation" series by Isaac Asimov is coming to Apple+ TV. That's the name of the streaming service, right? :)

I hope they do right by the author. I read the books way back. Donkey's years is the expression, I think. :)

1. 1992
2. Don
3. the Gambino crime family
4. the Mafia
5. New York City

Debbi said...

Wow, she is ... memorable! :)