Pages

Sunday, 14 October 2012

The Daily Teaser — 14-10-2012

Hmmm … 

You know, I’m thinking today is going to be one of those days.

Now you’re quite probably — and understandably — going to say “What do you mean, one of those days” … ?

I’ll be frank.

I have NO idea … !

I’ve just got a feeling that something will happen.

Yeah … 

Sounds incredibly portentous, doesn’t … ?

Let’s get moving on, shall we?   Before I turn into some form of prophet … 

~~~~~

Yesterday’s teaser saw Debbi* putting her answers: along with reminding me to make sure I wear trousers on Tuesday, also managed to bag 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 14th October, 1969, saw the introduction of the 50p piece: how many edges does the 50p piece have … ?
Q2) More to the point, which note was the 50p piece designed to replace … ?
Q3) EQUALLY to the point … how many shillings made up a pound, in pre-decimal British currency … ?
Q4) Moving on … 14th October, 1656, saw the colony of Massachusetts ban which religious group … ?
Q5) 14th October, 1962, saw a U2 spy-plane overfly — and take famous photos of missiles on — which Caribbean island?
Q6) And finally … 14th October, 1926, saw the first publication of Winnie the Pooh: who wrote Winnie the Pooh … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 13th October, 54AD, saw the death of Emperor Claudius 1st: who played Claudius in the series, I, Claudius … ?
A1) Derek Jacobi.
Q2) 13th October, 1884, saw Greenwich — in London — established as the basis for GMT: what does GMT stand for … ?
A2) Greenwich Mean Time: it’s also seen as synonymous with Co-ordinated Universal Time, or UTC.
Q3) 13th October, 1923, saw Ankara replace Istanbul as capital of Turkey.   On which continent is Ankara: Europe, Asia or Africa … ?
A3) Asia: Asia Minor, or Anatolia, to be precise.
Q4) 13th October, 1925, saw the birth of Margaret Thatcher: in which year was she first elected as PM?
A4) 1979.
Q5) And finally … 13th October, 1881, saw Eliezer Ben-Yehuda, and his friends agree to use which language in conversation … ?
A5) Hebrew.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with this tune from Sir Cliff Richard, whose birthday it is … 


And with this quote from Sir Roger Moore …
“I enjoy being a highly overpaid actor.”
Sir Roger Moore, born 14 October 1927º
































*        Actually, Debbi, turning up trouserless might be an idea … !   Just not necessarily a good one.   And I’d have to get to the interview, trouserless: just outside Liverpool Street Station … … … 

º        Actually … Who wouldn’t … ?

1 comment:

  1. I know that place! I can only imagine the reaction to a man appearing trouserless at Liverpool Station. What a fashion statement! :)

    1. seven
    2. the ten shilling note
    3. 20
    4. Quakers
    5. Cuba
    6. A. A. Milne

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.