Pages

Thursday, 18 April 2013

The Daily Teaser — 18-4-2013

Blimey, it never rains, but it pours.

Says I , after the news comes in that a) there’s been an explosion in a fertiliser plant in Texas, and b) a chap called Paul Lamb has waived his right to anonymity in his Right To Die case.

I don’t know if you realised I’m something of a fan of the author, Terry Pratchett: so that latter item is going to be something I’m following.

With interest, obviously … !

Let’s get moving on … 

—————

Yesterday’s Teaser saws Debbi* putting in her answers: although with admitting she thoroughly enjoyed toast — with Marmite — also bagged three out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we?   Here it is, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 18th April, 1930, saw the BBC Radio service announce nothing newsworthy, worth broadcasting, had happened: what did they broadcast, instead … ?
Q2) Many years earlier, 18th April, 1881, saw who escape the Lincoln County Jail, in New Mexico … ?
Q3) 18th March, 1899, saw Queen Victoria grant a royal charter to the St. Andrew’s Ambulance Service: in which country of the UK does it operate … ?
Q4) 18th March, 2002, saw the death of Norwegian ethnographer, Thor Heyerdahl.   What was the name of the boat he crossed the Pacific in, in 1947 … ?
Q5) And finally … 18th April, 1955, saw the death of Albert Einstein.   For what did he receive his one Nobel Prize: the special theory of Relativity, the photoelectric effect or the mass-energy equivalence effect formula … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 17th April, 1397, Geoffrey Chaucer formally read The Canterbury Tales to the court of the King of England.   Which king … ?
A1) Richard 2nd.
Q2) In which English county is Canterbury … ?
A2) Kent.
Q3) The pilgrims in The Canterbury Tales were planning to visit the shrine of which saint … ?
A3) Thomas à Becket
Q4) Which of the tales sees a knight trying to find out what women really want … ?
A4) The Wife of Bath’s Tale.
Q5) And finally … which of the Tales is about a Miller from Trumpington … ?
A5) The Reeve’s Tale.
Enjoy those: I’ll leave you with this quote from Lucrezia Borgia …
“If people knew the reasons for my fears, they would be able to understand my pain.”
Lucrezia Borgia 18 April 1480 – 24 June 1519
And, marking the birth of the late Bernard Edwards of Chic, these songs … 










*        Hang on, you mean it’s never been released over there, Debbi … ?   I think that’s an excuse for a song … 

1 comment:

  1. Great songs! No, apparently this is the first time it's been released over here. Exciting! :)

    I love the "no news" item! I had to mention that on my blog. :)

    1. piano music
    2. Billy the Kid
    3. Scotland
    4. Kon-Tiki
    5. his explanation of the photoelectric effect

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.