Pages

Saturday, 30 November 2013

The Daily Teaser — 30-11-2013: Saint Andrew’s Day

You know, there’s upsides and downsides to now having a TV signal, there is.

On the upside … ?   It does mean I’m slowly catching up with documentaries and comedy shows I’d not caught, last week.

QI’s a perpetual favourite.   I’ve also got a BBC4 documentary on about the history of the Blues.

On the downside … ?   Is catching the shocking news that, up in Glasgow, a police helicopter’s crashed into a pub called The Clutha.

I can only hope as few lives as possibly are lost, but have a nasty feeling about that.

Hmm … let’s get a move on, shall we … 

~≈Ê≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with letting us know about how she became a fan of Dr Who, also scored six out of seven.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Saint Andrew’s Day questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 30th November is Saint Andrew’s Day: name either of the colours which make up the Saint Andrew’s Cross.
Q2) Some of Saint Andrew’s bones are in which Scottish town … ?
Q3) Saint Andrew’s Day was declared a public holiday — for Scotland — in 2006.   By the government of where: Scotland, Wales, England or the UK … ?
Q4) Saint Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland, and where else: Prussia, Russia or Romania … ?
Q5) Finally … which island in the Lesser Antilles celebrates Saint Andrew’s Day both as its saints day, AND its independence day … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 29th November saw Atari release the world’s first commercially successful video game.   What game was it?
A1) Pong.
Q2) In which year of the 1970s was the game released … ?
A2) 1972.
Q3) Atari, itself, was based in which US state?
Q4) More to the point, Atari is a Japanese word meaning ‘warning’: and used in which game … ?
A4) Go.
Q5) Atari placed their first coin operated video game in a bar called ‘Andy’s’ … what’s … ?
Q6) The game, itself, is loosely based on which real-world sport: tennis, ping-pong or badminton?
A6) Tennis.
Q7) Finally … what was the name of Atari’s 1976 follow up to its first game … ?
A7) Breakout: designed by Apple co-founder, Steve Wozniak.
I’ll leave you with this anonymous verse …
“Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland,

And we in dreams behold the Hebrides!

Fair these broad meads, these hoary woods are grand;

But we are exiles from our fathers’ land.”
‘Canadian Boat Song, Anonymous’
And with this music … 


Enjoy the day … !














*    Oh, I hate that: don’t you, Debbi … ?   Loaning a book out, and never getting it back … !   (Did I tell you I had a copy of the novelisation of very first Dalek story? LORD knows where that’s got to … !)

1 comment:

  1. Really? Wow! I had no idea there was such a story. How interesting.

    1. blue and white
    2. St. Andrews
    3. Scotland
    4. Russia
    5. Barbados

    I'm wearing that other Tardis shirt today. The one I got last Christmas. Haven't worn it in a while! :)

    I hope you'll try to talk to Karen Chilvers, at some point, okay?

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.