Pages

Friday, 20 December 2013

The Daily Teaser — 20-12-2013: The Secret Policesman’s Teaser … 

Did I mention the Great Train Robbery, the other day … ?

Yes, I did, didn’t I … ?   Given the recent death of Robber, Ronnie Biggs: and that the BBC were showing one heck of a drama about it.

I’ve actually got part two of the BBC’s drama on in the background, as I write: called A Copper’s Tale.

And, boy, it’s as riveting as the first half, A Robber’s Tale.

If you get the chances … ?   Check the pair out: fascinating dramas, the pair of them … 

~≈Ï≈~

Moving on … ?

Moving on, yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with letting us know the Ronnie Biggs/Sex Pistols video was cool, she also bagged nine out of ten.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s rather secretive questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 20th December, 1917, saw the founding of the first Soviet secret police force.   What was it called … ?
Q2) Its first director was Felix … who … ?
Q3) Which Russian leader issued the decree that founded the force … ?
Q4) The group was eventually replaced by the NKVD: short for its Russian name, Narodnyy Komissariat Vnutrennikh Del.   This translates as People's Commissariat for Internal … what … ?
Q5) The last Soviet Russian secret police force was the Committee for State Security.   Better — or infamously — known by which initials … ?
Q6) Russia’s current President is a former member of that latter agency: who is he … ?
Q7) Finally … the Russian Federation’s current security body is — in English — usually known by what initials … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 19th December, 1843, saw the first publication of A Christmas Carol.   Who wrote A Christmas Carol … ?
Q2) The main character of A Christmas Carol was Ebenezer … who … ?
Q3) The book’s set seven year’s after the death of Ebenezer’s business partner, Jacob … whom … ?
Q4) How many ghosts visit Ebenezer … ?
A4) Four.   (4)
Q5) Name one of those ghosts.
A5) Jacob Marley’s, along with — in order — the ghosts of Christmas Past, Christmas Present and Christmas Yet To Come.
Q6) Who was Ebenezer’s overworked and underpaid clerk … ?
Q7) That clerk had an ill son: called Tiny … what?
A7) Tiny Tim.
Q8) More to the point, Ebenezer refuses Christmas Dinner with his nephew: what’s his nephew’s name … ?
A8) Fred.
Q9) Ebenezer frequently describes Christmas as a humbug: or fraud.   A humbug is also a kind of mint-flavoured what … ?
A9) Boiled sweet, or candy.
Q10) Finally … name any one of the four other Christmas books by the author of A Christmas Carol.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“When confronted with evidence, criminals in almost every case confess; and what argument can have greater weight than a criminal’s own confession?”
Thoughts from the founder of the Soviet Secret Police.
And with Body On The Bed, by the Secret Police.


Have a good Friday.















*        Actually, Debbi, did you ever see The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle … ?   Biggs crops up in that.   You might want to check out The Filth and the Fury, though, it’s a bit more favourable to the band, themselves.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm ... I'll have to check it out.

    It's been quite a day. Scarcely managed to get out of bed, actually. I needed a day off from everything.

    1. Cheka
    2. Dzerzhinsky
    3. Lenin
    4. Affairs
    5. KGB
    6. Vladimir Putin
    7. FSB


    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.