Pages

Friday, 31 January 2014

The Daily Teaser — 31-1-2014

You know, as I write, it’s actually NOT raining in Brentwood.

No, really … !

Speaking personally … ?

I’m grateful: it means I can go out, without getting drenched.

Unlike parts of the UK: which are looking like paddy fields, AND getting more flood warnings.

Again, I’m grateful.

Grateful that, frankly, I’m living nowhere near the Somerset Levels, or a river.

I’m thinking I’d need to use a stronger word than ‘damp’ … !

~≈Î≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Debbi and Adrence putting in their answers: and saw Adrence* scoring four out of seven, with Debbi† bagging six, and winning the day.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 31st January, 2014, marks the start of the Chinese New Year.   2014 is the year of which Chinese astrological animal … ?
Q2) 31st January, 1929, saw the Soviet Union exile Leon Trotsky.   In which country was he eventually assassinated … ?
Q3) 31st January, 1968, saw the USA receive reports of over 500 deaths: during which Vietnam War offensive … ?
Q4) 31st January, 1983, saw UK drivers ordered to wear seat-belts.   Under that same legislation, who else in the car had to … ?
Q5) Finally … 31st January, 1990, saw McDonald’s open its first restaurant: in Moscow’s Pushkin Square.   How many Russian restaurant does the firm now have: 407, 408 0r 409?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 
Q1) 30th January, 1703, saw forty-seven ronin avenge the death of their master: in which East Asian country … ?
A1) Japan.
Q2) The ronin sought revenge after their master was forced to commit seppuku: or ritual … what … ?
A2) Suicide.
Q3) What exactly was WAS a ronin: a cashiered soldier, a masterless knight or an out of work farmer … ?
A3) A masterless samurai, or knight: although they’re not quite the same, that’s the nearest European equivalent.
Q4) The ronins’ master was a lord, in their country: what term is used for a feudal lord, in that nation … ?
A4) A daimyo.
Q5) The slightly curved ronin long swords are called what: scimitar, seax or katana?
A5) The Katana.
Q6) What was the name given to the code of honour followed by ronin … ?
A6) Bushidō.
Q7) Finally … who’s plays the lead character, in the 2013 film version of the tale, called 47 Ronin … ?
I’ll leave you with this tune from birthday boy, Justin Timberlake … 


And this thought …
“We’ll use a signal I have tried and found far-reaching and easy to yell. Waa-hoo!”
From The Last Of The Plainsmen, by Zane Grey, January 31, 1872 – October 23, 1939
Have a good day.












*        Adrence, I think you’ve just put in your personal best score, there … !

†        Debbi, I just hope that article’s readable!   I’m a bit … um … yeah, Ummm … about it!   (And thinking maybe some sort of glossary of terms would be useful … ?)

1 comment:

  1. Well, possibly.

    1. horse
    2. Mexico
    3. the Tet Offensive
    4. the front seat passenger
    5. 408

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.