Pages

Saturday, 15 March 2014

The Daily Teaser — 15-4-2014: In Cars … !

Oy vey, but my copy of Safari’s taken its time, today … !

No, seriously … !

Normally I don’t mind when my aging version has issues: Safari’s Reading List makes up for the lack, much of the time.

But this morning’s slow … ?

Was definitely noticeable!

One of these day’s, though … ?    I’ll hopefully be able to update things.   I’ll be making do, until then … !

Let’s move on, shall we?

~≈®≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring eight out of ten.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with todays questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 15th March, 1906, saw Rolls-Royce Limited, incorporated.   Name either of the founders of Rolls-Royce Limited.
Q2) One of the first cars to be made by the company was the Rolls-Royce Silver … what … ?
Q3) In which year of the 1970s was the company nationalized … ?
Q4) The car division was spun off from the rest of the company: and named what … ?
Q5) That latter company is now owned by which German car company?
Q6) What’s the name of the most recently produced — from 2003 — Rolls Royce car?
Q7) Finally … what’s the name of the ornamental figure on the bonnet of Rolls Royce cars … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) According to Larry Shaw of the San Francisco Exploratorium, today is Pi Day: named in honour of the mathematical constant.   Pi itself, represents the ratio of a circle’s circumference to it’s what: diameter or radius … ?
A1) Diameter.
Q2) What IS Pi: to five decimal places … ?
A2) 3.14159.
Q3) The letter used to represent pi — π — is taken from which alphabet … ?
A3) The Greek alphabet.
Q4) It’s that alphabet’s equivalent to which letter in our latin alphabet … ?
A4) P.
Q5) The number pi can be approximated by different fractions: the lowest of these is 22 divided by … what … ?
A5) 7.
Q6) Pi is also described as what: rational or irrational … ?
A6) Irrational.   In other words, it can’t be represented as a simple fraction, like ⅔, ¾ or ⅝.
Q7) Pi shares that status with the square root of which even number … ?
A7) The square root of 2: usually shown as √2.
Q8) The capital letter pi — ∏ — is usually used to represent what, in economics: production, consumption or inflation … ?
A8) Inflation.
Q9) If you made a hobby of memorizing the digits of pi, you’d be practicing what … ?
Q10) Finally … which German born physicist was born on Pi Day, 1879 … ?
I’ll leave you with Gary Numan’s Cars … 


And this thought …
“If automobiles had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.”
Robert Cringely.
Have a good day … !














*        I know, Debbi: there’s one or two — Law And Order: UK and Orphan Black — they don’t show over here!

2 comments:

  1. We're really enjoying Ripper Street! Very entertaining.

    1. Charles Stewart Rolls & Frederick Henry Royce
    2. Ghost
    3. 1971
    4. Rolls Royce Motors
    5. BMW
    6. the Phantom 4-door sedan
    7. the Spirit of Ecstasy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to confess, I couldn’t get into Ripper Street … !

    And you DO know the BBC cancelled it … ?

    It’s still going on, though: it’s — wouldn’t you know it!‽? — been bought out by Amazon … !

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.