Pages

Sunday, 16 March 2014

The Daily Teaser — 16-3-2014

Oooh, OUCH, ouch ouch … !

I got run over … !

Well, no, that’s not accurate: but I got hit by a car, yesterday morning.

I’m ok, bar a few aches, pains and bruises.

I’m also both lucky — it could’ve been worse — grateful — the driver stopped to see that I was ok — and (mentally) kicking myself.

If I hadn’t been distracted by that graffiti, I’d’ve been looking where I was going, and seen the car coming!!

D’OH … !

Let’s get a move on, shall we?

~≈∏≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and bagging seven out of seven.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we?

Here it is, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 16th March, 1244, saw over 200 members of the Cathar heresy killed: at the end of the Siege of Montségur.   By troops loyal to which Church … ?
Q2) The besieged Château de Montségur was in what’s now which European country … ?
Q3) 16th March, 1872, saw Wanderers F. C. win the first ever F. A. final: held at what’s now which Cricket ground … ?
Q4) 16th March, 1935, saw Adolf Hitler order Germany to re-arm: in direct defiance of which post World War 1 treaty … ?
Q5) 16th March, 597BC, saw the Babylonians capture which Middle Eastern city … ?
Q6) Finally … 16th March, 1521, saw the Philippines reached: by which Portuguese explorer … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 15th March, 1906, saw Rolls-Royce Limited, incorporated.   Name either of the founders of Rolls-Royce Limited.
A1) Charles Stewart Rolls or Sir Frederick Henry Royce.
Q2) One of the first cars to be made by the company was the Rolls-Royce Silver … what … ?
A2) Ghost: the name comes from the nickname of the 12th one built, which was also the demonstration model.
Q3) In which year of the 1970s was the company nationalized … ?
A3) 1971.
Q4) The car division was spun off from the rest of the company: and named what … ?
Q5) That latter company is now owned by which German car company?
A5) BMW.
Q6) What’s the name of the most recently produced — from 2003 — Rolls Royce car?
A6) The Phantom.   (The current version is the Series 2 Phantom.)
Q7) Finally … what’s the name of the ornamental figure on the bonnet of Rolls Royce cars … ?
I’ll leave you with this tune … 


And this thought …
“It is easy to believe in freedom of speech for those with whom we agree.”
Leo McKern, 16 March 1920 – 23 July 2002
Have a good Sunday … 











*        You DO know Ripper Street got cancelled, Debbi … ?   The BBC axed it as it wasn’t getting the audience numbers.   It’s (sort of) ok, though.   It’s been picked up for a third series: by Amazon, of all people.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I read that. Glad they saved it.

    1. the Hugenots
    2. France
    3. Snaresbrook
    4. the Versailles Treaty
    5. Jerusalem
    6. Magellan

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.