Pages

Thursday, 27 April 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27-4-2017: Of Mice and other Rodents

Hmmm … 

I seem to have lost a day, at work.

I work in a call centre: as a temp worker.

And feel I’ve done well in building up the hours I have.

We HAVE been warned those will charge, though: from the 8th May.

It is, after after all, fairly seasonal work.

I’m quite happily quibbling next week’s rota, though.

The past few months, I’ve worked every Sunday.

Next week?

I have Sunday off.

OK, I know the hours are due to change.

I know I still get help from Universal Credit.

But the Sunday concerned is the 7th.

I can’t help but fell a little aggrieved … 

~≈Î≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser sae Debbi* putting her answers: scoring five out of five in the process.   The day also saw Olga† looking in, and letting us know she’s off to a book fair.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The first commercial computer mouse was released, today: by Xerox.   In which year of the 1980s?
Q2) The mouse was released with which computer: the PC, Mac or Star?
Q3) Xerox originally released the mouse with an earlier computer called what: the PARC, the Alto or the Palo?
Q4) The first commercially successful mouse was released with which computer: the PC, Mac or Lisa?
Q5) Those early mechanical mice used a what, to interact with the surface they were on: a laser, ball or spring?
Q6) Most modern mice use various small lasers, or LEDs to detect movements.   They’re called what mice?
Q7) A modern mouse with a cable, connects through what kind of port?
Q8) Many cordless mice connect by which rather blue radio signal?
Q9) Those early 80s mice used two buttons: the same as mice for most modern Windows and Linux based PCs.   How many buttons are there, on mice for the modern Apple Mac?
Q10) Finally … One computer mouse.   Many computer what: mice or mouses?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 26th April, 121 AD, saw the birth of Roman Emperor, Marcus Aurelius.   Which dynasty was he a member of?
A1) The Antonine dynasty.
Q2) 26th April is Old Permic Alphabet Day.   The alphabet is a version of which script: Latin, Cyrillic or Greek?
A2) Cyrillic.
Q3) 26th April, 1564, saw who get baptized at a Church in Stratford upon Avon?
Q4) Francesco Petrarca claimed to have climbed Mount Ventoux: on 26th April, 1336.   Francesco is better known as whom: Petrarch, Pluto or Prometheus?
A4) Petrarch.
Q5) Finally … Paul von Hindenburg was elected as President: on 26th April, 1925.   Of Weimar … where?
A5) Germany.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“He’s our rodent control officer. He doesn’t catch mice, he just terrifies them.”
Lilian Jackson Braun, The Cat Who Went Up the Creek.
And this … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I think, Debbi‡, it was Will Shakespeare.   If it was Bill you’d get problems.   I mean … tax bill, gas bill, groceries bill, spear bill, the increasing cost of arrows … !   Chandler was schooled in the UK, you say?   Must’ve given his English teachers nightmares: the spelling differences, alone, will catch you out … 

†        OK, Olga: and cheers for the heads-up!   Good luck with the fair: and if it’s any help?   It seems physical books sales are up in the UK, with ebooks going down.   I don’t know if that’ll be reflected into Spanish sales: but hope it does.   After all, a paperback might be bulkier than a Kindle, but the batteries won’t run out.

‡        Oh, I’ve mentioned this news piece to Olga, Debbi, but you might want to have a read, as well.

1 comment:

  1. I saw that on Twitter. I figure there are cycles to these things. Personally, I like a print book, as well as ebooks. Ebooks are great for travel. As long you don't forget to pack a charger! :) But I still love print books, too.

    1. 1981
    2. the PC
    3. the Alto
    4. Mac
    5. ball
    6. optical mice
    7. USB
    8. Bluetooth
    9. 3
    10. mice

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.