Pages

Saturday, 23 June 2012

The Daily Teaser — 23-6-2012

Hmmm … 

You know, I’ve got to admit, I was at my doctor’s, yesterday.

Seemingly … ?

Seemingly, and after several blood tests, it seems I’ve got a mildly underactive thyroid gland.

Which makes sense of a FEW things, going by the symptom list, I know that: especially the stress related ones.

Actually, MOST of them make some sort of sense.

Bar the mention of abnormal menstrual cycle.

It’d be a STRANGE universe if I’ve a problem, THERE … !

At ANY rate, let’s get moving on, shall we?   While I remind you it’s Alan Turing’s birthday: as he was a keen amateur runner, go for a jog to celebrate … 



‹‹·››

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with commenting on her potential usage of the word ‘knackered’*, also bagged 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 23rd June, 1912, saw the birth of Alan Turing, the father of the modern computer.   During World War 2, he worked at Britain’s code-breaking centre, in Bletchley Park: what was that centre’s formal name … ?
Q2) More to the point, name either of the German cipher machines which he helped crack … ?
Q3) 23rd June, 79 AD, saw who become Roman Emperor … ?
Q4) 23rd June, 1868 saw Christopher L. Sholes patent the first commercially successful typewriter.   Yes or No: did he himself use it?
Q5) And finally … 23rd June, 1943, saw the birth of computer scientist, Vint Cerf: one of the men known as the father of what … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 22nd June, 1911, saw which George crowned as King of the UK: George 5th, George 6th or Edward 8th … ?
A1) George 5th.
Q2) More to the point, who was his queen … ?
A2) Mary of Teck.
Q3) 22nd June, 2003, saw the world’s largest hailstone hit WHICH Nebraska town … ?
A3) Aurora.
Q4) 22nd June, 1984, saw which airline make its first commercial flight … ?
A4) Virgin Atlantic.
Q5) 22nd June, 1978, saw the discovery of Charon, the moon of Pluto.   The Greek mythological figure it’s named after is what: a three headed dog, a ferryman or a river … ?
A5) A ferryman.
Q6) And finally … 22nd June, 2009, saw Eastman Kodak announce they were to stops selling what: cameras, film or printers.
A6) Film: or their bestselling brand of colour film, to be accurate …
Enjoy those, everyone.

As the late Dr Turingº shares his birthday with Adam Faith, I’ll leave you with Poor Me … 




















*        Oh, go ahead, Debbi: if you get funny looks, you can tell people I said it was ok … ! :D   But on a more SERIOUS note … ?   It turns out Wikipedia has a whole entry on British slang, which is nice.   And rather eye-popping: It’s only now I’ve found out what ‘berk’ª is actually short for … !

ª        It’s a bit like ‘aris’ as a term for one s backside: ‘Aris’ is short for ‘Aristotle’, which rhymes with ‘bottle’, from the rhyming slang phrase ‘Bottle and Glass’.   I’ll let you fill in the last bit, shall I , Debbi … ?

º        As a final note … ?   It’s generally accepted that Alan Turing’s work during the war helped shorten it by two years.   I still personally feel he should get SOME sort of medal for that.   On top of that … ?   I would not be posting this — and you would not be reading it — without his work on computers.   THAT deserves a reward: not the undignified death he eventually faced … 

1 comment:

  1. Thank the cosmos for Alan Turing and Vint Cerf, not to mention Tim Berners-Lee and whoever else I should thank. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to answer these questions, etc., etc.

    Would you believe I was actually considering (maybe) writing a sci-fi novel, sometime farther down the line? Or maybe I could do a short film. I'll need to think it over. And read more Terry Pratchett.

    I have more ideas than I can write with my ridiculously gimpy hand. Ha ha ha ...

    Five blogs. WTF was I thinking? Ha ha ha ...

    1. the Government Code and Cypher School
    2. the Enigma coding machine and the bombe
    3. Titus
    4. Yes
    5. the Internet

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.