Pages

Saturday, 1 September 2012

Dr Who Series 7 Episode 1: The Asylum of the Daleks


Hmmm … 

Now, that I’m thinking, is an interesting opening to a season.

Possibly.

Hmmm … 







You’re possibly wondering what on Earth I’m talking about, aren’t you?   Aren’t you … ?

Well … 

Now’s as good a chance as any to try and explain, isn’t it?

~~~~~

As both my regular readers — and most of my friends — will tell you, I’m something of a Doctor Who fan: and have been for years.

So today, I’ll happily admit to having headed out to mow my Mum’s garden, and babysit my nephew Jude, and pick a couple of bits and bobs from the Brentwood High Street branch of both the Co-op, and Wilkinsons.

I like toilet roll: at least, I hate running out of it … !

And on top of this … ?

I wanted to make sure I got back home in time to cook myself some dinner and settle in to watch the opening episode of Series 7, Asylum of the Daleks.

Which was … 

Interesting … 

Yes, interesting, let’s put it that way.

~~~~~

Asylum of the Daleks sees the Doctor being summoned by the mysterious Darla von Karlstein to the original Dalek homeworld of Skaro: she — seemingly — wishes him to rescue her daughter from a Dalek prison camp.

As it turns out … ?   Darla is actually a Dalek agent: primed to kidnap the Doctor, Amy and Rory, to bring them before what’s called The Parliament of the Daleks.

It seems the Doctor’s oldest foe has a little job for the Doctor.

Helping them clean out the Asylum of the title: the planetoid where the Daleks keep the most rabidly deranged members of their species.

They’ve got … an intruder …

And the only person they trust to get into the Asylum to help them clean out both intruder and patients is the Doctor …

~~~~~

Now, I have to admit, I enjoyed tonight’s episode, I did.

It’s seemingly set up the oncoming series, briefly reintroduced us to the main characters whilst updating us about what they’ve been doing — modelling and getting divorced, I should add, here — and given  us an introduction to Jenna Louise Coleman, who’ll be debuting as the new companion later in the year.

And seemingly … ?

I’m thinking the few episodes we’ve been told constitute this first batch of stories — show-runner, Steven Moffat has been adamant that Series 7 will be 13 episodes — don’t seem to tie off any of the questions raised in series 6.

The whole thing with The Silence didn’t seem very well finished to me, in other words.

I guess we’ll have to see what happens, won’t we … ?










No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.