Pages

Saturday, 2 February 2013

The Daily Teaser — 2-2-2013: This Is Saturday, Wear a Smile … !

Hmmm … 

I’ve got to admit, I’ve got last night’s episode of QI on, in the background.

Apparently … ?   In the canonical Sherlock Holmes stories, Watson ejaculated considerably more times than Holmes.

No, wait, don’t get like that … !

Back than, the word meant that Watson was … um … exclaiming.

Yes, that’s the word.

Funny how these things change over time, isn’t it … ?

Let’s move on, shall we?   Let’s … 

««·»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with telling us she’s put up her own batch of questions and answers*, she also bagged 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 2nd February, 2013 is a Saturday: its Latin name, dies Saturni, associates the day with which planet … ?
Q2) Which of the world’s three monotheist religions sees Saturdays as its holy day … ?
Q3) Many Scandinavian words for Saturday are variations of lørdag: meaning what day … ?
Q4) The French name for Saturday — Samedi — is also the name of a spirit in which religion … ?
Q5) More to the point, in which James Bond film does that spirit appear … ?
Q6) And finally … according to the old nursery rhyme, what does Saturday’s child do … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 1st February, 1884, saw the publication of the first volume of the Oxford English Dictionary.   The first formal editor was Herbert … who … ?   
A1) Coleridge.
Q2) In which year was the OED first released as a Compact Edition … ?   
A2) 1971.
Q3) In its entries, the OED lists which, first: British spellings, or American?   
A3) British.
Q4) Which of Shakespeare’s works is most quoted in the OED … ?   
A4) Hamlet.
Q5) And finally … Which fantastical English writer worked on the OED, after leaving the army … ?   
A5) J. R. R. Tolkien.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with this quote from a certain well known New York comedian …
“Bisexuality immediately doubles your chances for a date on Saturday night.”Woody Allen.
And an appropriate tune from Elton John … 


Or … And a tune from The Saturdays … 


And, given the name of children’s show, TISWAS, was an acronym of ‘This Is Saturday, Wear A Smile’ … I finish with the gang doing their thing … 


Enjoy the day … 








*        Think I managed to make a complete hash of that lot, Debbi! :D

1 comment:

  1. No worries, Paul! :) I think Bill would have gotten a kick out of it.

    I may do more quizzes in the future, with book giveaways. Just a thought! :)

    1. Saturn
    2. Judaism
    3. washing day
    4. Haitian Voodoo
    5. Live and Let Die
    6. works hard for a living

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.