Pages

Friday, 14 August 2009

The Dog And Partridge …

Oh, now that’s a shame.

It seems that, according to this week’s Brentwood Gazette, the landlords of the Dog and Partridge, in Kelvedon, have decided to break their lease, after a particularly nasty Friday night fight.

I can’t say I blame them; the couple in question had young children, and most of the bar-staff I’ve met over the years are pretty much agreed with my own view.

A pub — especially when something like that kicks off — isn’t the place to raise kids.

Hmmm …

But, at any rate, I can’t say I blame the couple concerned for leaving.

But here’s the email I sent the Gazette …

I’ve got to admit, I was saddened to read about the recent violence at the Dog & Partridge, in Kelvedon, in this weeks Gazette.

Violence that forced the new tenants to give up the pub.

I was saddened, but not surprised.

As a fifteen-year veteran behind various pub bars, I believe alcohol related violence is much more common than those outside the licensed trade may realise. Friday and Saturday night would usually be the worst time, wherever I was working, and more noticeably in areas like Brentwood High Street; but usually was a result of simple arguments getting out of hand, aggravated by the amount that many customers — usually, but not always limited to, young men in their twenties — had drunk.

It’s unfortunate that the Dog and Partridge has lost tenants who sounded like they were making an positive impact on a declining village pub. The part of it I really find saddening is simply that — with skilled staff or experienced management — this sort of violence is usually very avoidable.

However we deal with it, we have to take one thing into account. For anyone working in, or running a pub, alcohol related violence is a simple fact of life.

Going into the trade without that in mind is not an option.

Whether it gets published is a whole other matter, of course.

But having seen the sort of incident the Gazette’s talking about, I think expressing a relevant point of view can’t hurt, now can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.