Pages

Sunday, 15 November 2009

A Grand Day Out …

Phew!

I think I’m going to be saying a big ‘Thank You’ to Sue and her Partner, Andy; they asked me along to the Bletchley Park Heritage site, near Milton Keynes, today!

Fascinating place to actually visit, after all this time!

Especially for a rabid geek boy, like me!!

It’s just a shame we missed out on the National Computing Museum part of the complex, but there you go …

What we could get to was great to see; ranging from the original Enigma machines, themselves, and the Turing designed Bombes used to decrypt the messages. And the British TypeX machines, used to encrypt our coded messages; something I know I’d only heard of.

On top of that, there’s a reconstruction of the Lorenz machines, that the Germans used for their seriously top level communication; which lead to the real star of the show.

The Colossus …

The panoramic shot at the bottom?

That’s Colossus.

The worlds’ first modern, programmable computer.

And, my word, it’s amazing to see it in action …

Mostly because, according to the guide it’s as fast as a modern PC, at decoding the messages.

Feel free to imagine my response …

But, on a serious note, that’s because the Colossus we saw — which is a reconstruction, as the originals were destroyed after the war — was what’s known in the business as a dedicated computer.

It’s like a DVD player, or mobile phone; it’s just doing one thing!

Which is what gives it the comparative speed!

Now, before I settle in to watch Waters Of Mars, there’s one quick thing.

Bletchley Park needs help.

They had a collection, which I think everyone put into.

But, if you’ve got any spare valves, they need ’em.

Do they ever … !


2 comments:

  1. Paul

    There is a project thats rebuilding the first main-frame that I proggrammed back in the mid 1960's.

    Heres the link.


    http://ict1301.co.uk/1301ccsx.htm


    Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, cheers, Trevor! If I get the chance, I’m probably going to be expanding this post; mind me adding the linking to it?

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.