Pages

Sunday, 30 May 2010

Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll … !


Do you remember, back in January, I told you about the rite de passage movie that was The Boat That Rocked?



The Richard Curtis penned filmed, loosely based on the story of Radio Caroline, was and is a wonderfully up-beat film that had those of us watching it, that night, laughing outright.

Tonight’s film didn’t …

Tonight’s film — the independently produced and funded biopic of Ian Dury, Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll — was an altogether different kettle of musical fish.

Very different, actually.

Because, for a start, it’s a very decent attempt* to tell the story of the life of Blockheads frontman, disability campaignerº, actor and poet, Ian Dury.


Very decent: after all, how on earth are you supposed to sum up the life of one of Britain’s most fluent songwriters and performers … ?

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll does it by getting Dury himself to tell it, from a stage.

You notice I said ‘Dury’?

When I could well have said Andy Serkis, as Ian Dury … ?

I think that’s possibly the correct way to do it.

Now, I personally think that Andy Serkis should have got at least an Oscar nomination for his work as Gollum, in Peter Jackson’s The Lord Of The Rings trilogy, as — given the way the films were made — it would have been impossible to show Gollum without his contribution.

And I’m thinking it would be a shame if Serkis doesn’t get one for his convincing portrayal of one of British music’s most inspiring figures.

•••••

Now, I could tell you all about the plot for Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll.

I could.

I’m not.

In part, because, as you well know by now, other people do that a lot better than I.

But mostly … ?

Mostly because I think you should see this film.

If nothing else, for Serkis’ frighteningly good stage performances as the late great Ian Dury.

So good that — according to one comment on IMDb, about the film — he’s been asked to tour … with The Blockheads, themselves … !

How the hell do you argue with that … ?









* I’m going on the fact that I read Dury biography — also called Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll — many years ago. Fascinating stuff.

º The film also features, in various flashback forms, various events from Dury’s life in of the schools for the disabled that were run during the 1950s: and a nightmare performance of Spasticus Autisticus

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.