Pages

Thursday, 6 January 2011

Mac App Store: The Doors are Officially Open

Hmmm …

Well, that seemed to have gone rather well.

Cautious well, at least …

As many of my Mac using friends, relatives and co-workers will no doubt be able to tell you, today saw the official launch of the Mac App Store.

As you’ve probably guessed from the pictures I’ve included …

Now, granted, I’ve not got much in the way of cash to spend on it, that doesn’t mean I have had a look around the place.

Now, I came away feeling rather impressed.

Impressed …

And a touch thoughtful, as well.

Now, as I’ve come to expect, the actual interface is — as I’ve come to expect from Apple — clean and easy to use.

Navigating around the store is a cinch, everything seems to be where I’d expect it: especially after all this time using iTunes.

There’s a seemingly good choice of software, as well, especially of the sort of casual game I like: and seemingly, there’s enough bits and bobs around at a reasonably price to keep most of us end-users happy for hours.

Including the updated version — I should add — of the iLife suite: seemingly priced up individually at £8•99p.

Easily with-in reach of an iTunes card.

||»•«||

Which is where I start thinking about pros and cons and implications.

I’ll happily admit that the App Store strikes me as a good way of replacing and renewing assorted bits of software.

Saying that?

On a personal front, I’m still a touch unsure of replacing the versions of the suite I have on my faithful ol’ Mini, as iLife ’11 doesn’t include a current version of iDVD: that little app’s become more important to me, as I’m slowly building up a collection of photos of me nephew, Jude, and not all of my family have TV’s that’ll accept a USB drive with a movie on them: shoving a DVD in the DVD player’s the only way to go.

And I couldn’t help but notice there were one or two …

Well …

Absences …

For starters, I’m blowed if I could find some of the obvious things you’d think of looking for: obvious bits of productivity software, like the Mac version of Microsoft Office*, or Adobe Readerª.

And obvious gaps where I’d expect to see some of the open source stars: things like OpenOffice.org, Firefox, and GIMP, to give you the three pack leaders, for example.

||«•»||

Now I can’t help but think that’s a shame, in a way.

After all, one reason I know a lot of people make the switch to a Mac is the easy availability of well known bits of software.

It strikes me as being a bad thing that Apple’s guidelines for the App Store seem rather tight on that front.

On the other hand … ?

Apple giving the treatment to an idea that’s been around on phones and Linux for a while can only be a good thing.

But I think we’ll have to give it a chance to develop …





* Which, to be fair, you can’t download from the Great Satan’s own site, here in the UK.

ª Although I can understand that, given that Preview has been the default .pdf reader under OS X for some time, and that the ongoing … distance … between Apple and Adobe has been public for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.