Pages

Wednesday, 2 November 2011

The Daily Teaser - 2-11-2011

Hmmm …

You know, I’ve got to admit, I’ve happily got Radio 4 on, at the moment.

I’ll admit it: the Today programme’s quite a bit let distracting than the BBC’s own News channel.

Well …

I say a bit …

Actually … ?

FAR less distracting.

Although, at the mo … ?

There’s quite a bit more about Eurozone economics: it seems Germany’s managed to find quite a back down the back of the proverbial sofa … !

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, lets … !

««•»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Debbi and Mr Strict putting in their answers, with BOTH bagging 6 out of 6. Although I’ll be frank … ? There’s a HUGE difference between the British usage of the phraseCentral America’ — which include my answer, Mexico, as part of Central America — and the US and South African definition, which don’t!

(Actually, technically, this means Mr Strict has now OFFICIALLY been promoted, much like Debbi and Kaiju, to OFFICIAL Teaser Big Beast* status … !)

Lets see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 2nd November, 1959, saw the first opening of the M1, in Britain: name the cities at either the beginning or end of the M1’s route.

Q2) 2nd November, 1930, saw Haile Salassie crowned as Emperor of Ethiopia: what name and title did he use as Crown Prince … ?

Q3) 2nd November, 1913, saw the birth of Burt Lancaster: in which 1986 film did he appear opposite Kirk Douglas … ?

Q4) More to the point … The Red Chilli Peppers included which otherwise never released song on that film … ?

Q5) 2nd November, 1936, saw who announce the Rome-Berlin Axis … ?

Q6) And finally … How many days — in a non-leap year — are left until the end of the year … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 1st November is noted for being The Day Of the Dead: what’s the Spanish name for the holiday … ?
A1) Día de los Muertos.

Q2) More to the point, in which central American country is The Day Of the Dead mostly celebrated … ?
A2) Mexico: or Guatemala, depending on who you are … !

Q3) 1st November, 1884, saw the founding of the Gælic Athletic Association: what’s its name … in Irish Gælic … ?

Q4) 1st November, 1963, saw the opening of the Arecibo Observatory: in which Jodie Forster film did it make an appearance … ?
A4) Contact.

Q5) 1st November, 1928, saw which country replace its Arabic alphabet … ?
A5) Turkey.

Q6) And finally … 1st November, 1990, saw who hand in his resignation to Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher … ?
A6) Deputy PM, Sir Geoffrey Howe. (Who handed in his resignation over the various government squabbles over the EU … Sounds familiar …)
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with the tune that’s been playing ’round my head ALL morning …







* Me finding out stuff like this is much in the Teaser’s ORIGINAL Big Beast tradition of Trevor, himself. He’s on my FB friend list, Debbi, feel free to have a look …

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Paul. Could you let Karen know about my "Blog of Note" post today? I'll try to remember to tweet it to her, also. I forgot to notify her. Oops! :-/

    1. London
    2. His Majesty Haile Selassie I, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, King of Kings (Emperor) of Ethiopia, Elect of God (talk about a mouthful -- phew!)
    3. Tough Guys
    4. Set it Straight
    5. Benito Mussolini
    6. 59 days

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.