Pages

Tuesday, 8 November 2011

The King’s Speech: Blood, Guts … and Speech Impaired, Wartime 78s

You know …

It’s not that often I have two quiet night’s in in a row.

Actually, no, tell a lie, yes it IS

It’s just, every so often, I’ll have company, even if it is one of the neighbours, banging on the door.

Debby, Upstairs has OFFICIALLY put in a complaint about the lock on the main door of the building, I should add … !

‹‹‡››

But at any rate … ?

I had the night to myself.

Nothing in particular grabbing my attention on TV or radio*: well … with the possible exception of Film 4’s late night movie: which, frankly, I’m intent on taping. I REALLY don’t think I’m going to be up at THAT time of the morning.

But, at ANY rate … ?

At any rate, the fact that I seemed to have a few DVD’s sitting around … ?

And nothing to do … ?

Does mean I’ve had a chance to catch up with a film or two: as you’ve probably guessed, after reading last night’s post

At any rate … ?

At any rate, the film I managed to catch, tonight … ?

Was last year’s sensation, The King’s Speech, and my word, I think I can see why it caused such a sensation.

Covering the years from 1925 to 1939, The King’s Speech tells us the story of King George 6th — played by Colin Firth — and his relationship with maverick Australian speech therapist, Lionel Logue — played by Geoffrey Rush — and the twists and turns the pair’s relationship goes through, as Bertie — the name used privately by the Royal Family for George 6th — sees the death of his fatherº, and his older brother’s† accession to — and abdication OF — the throne.

And the crisis that inevitably happens when the Royal household faces, when war is declared, on 3rd September, 1939: which forces Bertie into the one thing he fears.

Making a speech — the SAME speech, one way or the other — before the entire British Empireª.

‹‹‡››

Now …

What can I possibly say about The King’s Speech that hasn’t already been said, already … ?

Probably not much … !

The one thing that I know I can do … ?

Is tell you to go and watch it.

The sooner the better.


★★★★











* Even BBC Radio 4 — Britain’s most civilised station — seemed a touch bare, tonight.

º George 5th, played by Michæl Gambon.

ª The empire wasn’t at its height, at this point. On the other hand … ? It would’ve STILL been the biggest audience someone would’ve had to face, outside of the modern population of China … !

The uncrowned Edward 8th: played by Guy Pearce, I should add.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.