Pages

Friday, 30 March 2012

The Daily Teaser - 30-3-2012

Hmm …

Well, that’s probably a turn-up for the books.

It looks like former Labour party member — and Celebrity Big Brother contestant — George Galloway, has managed to get himself back into the House of Commons, after being elected as MP for Bradford West.

Hmmm …

Just goes to show, I think: that mainstream politics has its work cut out for it.

Especially when you consider that the Liberal Democrats in the area lost their deposits: and the Monster Raving Looney Party managed to get — for them — a nice number of votes.

I guess we’ll have to see what this implies for the by-elections on May 3rd!

Let’s move on, shall we … ?

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with admitting she’d thoroughly enjoyed the video I’d posted — of John Cleese’s Eulogy for Graham Chapman — and posting up a piece* from the Bloggess she’d found inspiring, also bagging 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 30th March, 1856, saw the signing of the Treaty of Paris: which war did this bring to an end … ?

Q2) 30th March, 1858, saw Hymen Lipman patent the eraser tipped pencil. Which of Shakespeare’s play’s features a (minor) character called Hymen … ?

Q3) 30th March, 1746, saw the birth of which notably artistic Spaniard: Dali, Goya or Picasso … ?

Q4) 30th March, 1822, saw the incorporation of the Territory of Florida: when first discovered, in 1513, Florida was a colony of which European country … ?

Q5) And finally …30th March, 1978, saw the Conservative’s hire which advertising agency … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 29th March, 1871, saw Queen Victoria open which London concert hall … ?
A1) The Royal Albert Hall. (At one point, one or two blues fans I know would — as a result of Eric Clapton’s annual gigs, there — laughingly refer to it as Eric’s … )

Q2) 29th March, 1981, saw the first London Marathon take place: in which London borough will this year’s marathon start … ?
A2) Greenwich.

Q3) 29th March, 1549, saw the founding of Salvador da Bahia: this was the first capital city of which country … ?
A3) Brazil.

Q4) 29th March, 1857, saw Sepoy Mangal Pandey begin the Sepoy Mutiny: against whom … ?
A4) The British East India Company.

Q5) And finally … 29th March, 1974, saw the Mariner 10 probe fly by where … ?
A5) Mercury.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with some words of wisdom from birthday boy — and recovering rapper — the Reverend Stanley Burrell …







* Words are such important things at times, Debbi, aren’t they … ? I think THAT collection of words is something that should be more widely read. And confess, I immediately hit the tweet buttonº.

º I’ll work out how I did it, at some point, but I’ve linked my Facebook and Twitter accounts. It comes in handy …

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Paul, for tweeting The Bloggess' words! That's awesome. :)

    1. the Crimean War
    2. As You Like It
    3. Goya
    4. Spain
    5. Saatchi & Saatchi

    Those videos you posted yesterday turned out to be just perfect for my blog on Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.