Pages

Thursday, 23 August 2012

The Daily Teaser — 23-08-2012

Oh … Dear … 

It look’s like the Royal Family’s got a potential media storm on its hands.

It’s official.   Prince Harry’s been caught with his pants down.

And I have to admit, I’m very tempted to finish that sentence with the word again … !

Bless him … 

He’s getting as much of a reputation as Princess Margaret and Prince Andrew.

Let’s move on, shall we?

Before I get cheekily tempted to give you a link to them … 

««·»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting her answers: and along with admitting the Pie Floater had caught her attention*, also bagging 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 23rd August, 1305, saw the death of Scottish hero, Sir William Wallace: who played Wallace, in the film, Braveheart?
Q2) More to the point, Wallace was hung at Smithfields, in London: Smithfield is the site of the last surviving London … what … market?
Q3) 23rd August, 1839, saw the UK capture which Chinese port city … ?
Q4) This capture saw the start of the First Opium War: between the UK and which Chinese Imperial dynasty … ?
Q5) 23rd August, 1994, saw Eugene Ballard commissioned as a Second Lieutenant.   Ballard was the only black pilot to serve in the US Airforce, during which war … ?
Q6) And finally … 23rd August, 1991, saw who punish those involved in a coup, four days earlier … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 22nd August, 1639, saw the founding of the city of Madras: how is Madras now known?
A1) Chennai.
Q2) More to the point, which India federal state is it the capital of … ?
A2) Tamil Nadu.
Q3) 22nd August, 1966, saw ICI announce job losses: in its factories that made what … ?
A3) Nylon.
Q4) Following on from that, what does ICI stand for … ?
A4) Imperial Chemical Industries.
Q5) 22nd August, 1922, saw the discovery of gold in which South African city … ?
A5) Johannesburg.
Q6) And finally … 22nd August, 2007, saw the Storm Botnet send a record  amount of spam emails: was it 56, 57 or 58 million messages … ?
A6) 57 million.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with this quote, in memory of the late R. D. Laing …
“We are effectively destroying ourselves by violence masquerading as love.”
In Memorium, R. D. Laing, 7 October 1927 – 23 August 1989
And this tune from the equally late Keith Moon … 
















*        I don’t think there’s anything quite as eyecatching as the Pie Floater, Debbi … !   Unless it was the name of the original creator’s … ummm … venue: ‘Harry’s Café De Wheels’.   Apparently, if you were feeling really posh, he’d put ketchup on it … And tell you what was in the pie … 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love it. :)

    Harry's Cafe de Wheels and Keith Moon! Awesome! Ha ha ha ...

    1. Mel Gibson
    2. wholesale market (also, meat market)
    3. Hong Kong
    4. the Qing Dynasty
    5. World War I
    6. Fiji's chief magistrate Usaia Ratuvili

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.