Pages

Sunday, 26 August 2012

The Daily Teaser — 26-08-2012

Well, it’s officially a sad day, it really is.

Especially if you heard last night’s news, about the death of astronaut and test pilot, Neil Armstrong.

I think that’s literally the end of an era: and that we’ll very really won’t see anyone like that again.

I hope that’s not the case, I really do.

I hope that both China and India manage to get space programmes going, I really do.

Personally … ?

Personally, I think humanity needs heroes like Neil Armstrong: and the inspiration he (and others) provided.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?


Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with giving Charles Dickens a mention, also bagging 3 out of 5*.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 26th August, 1978, saw Cardinal Albino Luciano elected pope: what papal name did he assume … ?
Q2) More to the point, what was the name of the David Yallop book about his death … ?
Q3) 26th August, 1975, saw peace-talks break down: peace talks between the government of Rhodesia, and whom … ?
Q4) 26th April, 2011, saw Boeing’s new plane receive its certification: what plane is that … ?
Q5) 26th August, 1676, saw the birth of Britain’s first Prime Minister: what was his name … ?
Q6) More to the point, what’s the Prime Minister’s formal title … ?
Q7) And finally … 26th August, 1938, saw the birth of drummer, Jet Black: with which English band does he play … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 25th August, 1944, saw the liberation of Paris, during World War 2.   Who led the Free French Forces, during that war … ?
A1) Charles DeGaulle.
Q2) 25th August, 1916, saw the creation of the US National Park Service: what was the first US National Park … ?
A2) Yellowstone National Park.
Q3) 25th August, 1609, saw Galileo Galilei, demonstrate his telescope for the first time.   In which city … ?
A3) Venice.
Q4) 25th August, 1939, saw the UK form a military alliance with which east European country … ?
A4) Poland.
Q5) And finally … 25th August, 2003, saw which city hit by twin car bombs … ?
A5) Bombay: or Mumbai, if you want to be picky …
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with Gloria, performed, of course, by the late Laura Branigan.


And with this quote from Chris Boardman …
“Success on the track in '92 was the springboard for my career as a pro rider.”
Chris Boardman, born 26 August 1968

















*        Blimey, bad day, Debbi … ?   Is everything ok … ?

2 comments:

  1. 1, Pope John Paul I
    2, In God's Name
    3, ZANU
    4, Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey
    5, Robert Walpole, 1st Earl of Orford
    6, First Lord of
    7, The Stranglers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, things are pretty good, actually. I guess I had an "off" day. :)

    I'll endeavor to persevere! Ha!

    1. Pope John Paul I
    2. In God's Name
    3. the African National Council
    4. the Boeing 787 Dreamliner (I'm guessing you meant August? I'm also guessing what the answer is -- ha ha ha ...)
    5. Robert Walpole
    6. First Lord of the Treasury and Minister for the Civil Service
    7. The Stranglers

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.