Pages

Thursday, 6 September 2012

The Daily Teaser — 06-09-2012

Now, that’s … strange … that really is.

I’ve got Radio 4’s Today programme on in the background: the show — as a few BBC news and current event shows — mentioned the shootings of some British tourists in France.

The strange bit — at least for me — is that I’ve always had the impression that there’s not that much gun crime in France: it’s always struck me as being relatively peaceable, in that sense.

Either way, what’s sad is the fact that it’s members of a family that seem to have shoot: and the two daughters seem to have survived the shooting.

That’s a shame: they’ve been orphaned on what should’ve been a happy family holiday.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

~~~~~

Yesterday’s teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with giving me some very good advice, also bagging 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 6th September, 1968, saw Swaziland become independent: from which colonial power … ?
Q2) More to the point, which star of Withnail and I was born in Swaziland … ?
Q3) 6th September is a national holiday in Pakistan, in memory of those killed in its war with India: in which year was that war… ?
Q4) 6th September, 1972, saw nine athletes from Israel killed: those athletes had been killed during the Summer Olympics in which German city … ?
Q5) 6th September, 1522, saw the only surviving ship from Ferdinand Magellan’s circumnavigation of the world arrive home: what was that ship’s name … ?
Q6) And finally … 6th September, 1991, saw a well known Russian city change its name back to Saint Petersburg: what was its name between 1924 and 1991?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 5th September, 1960 saw Muhammed Ali — Cassius Clay, as he was then — win an Olympic boxing Gold medal.   Who played Ali in the 2001 film of the same name … ?
A1) Will Smith.
Q2) 5th September, 1941, saw Nazi Germany occupy all of which Baltic state … ?
A2) Estonia.
Q3) 5th September, 1959, saw Britain’s first trunk call made from a call box: from which English city … ?
A3) Bristol.
Q4) 5th September, 1927, saw the release of Trolley Troubles: which cartoon rabbit did this feature … ?
A4) Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
Q5) And finally … 5th September, 1836, saw Sam Houston elected as President of Texas.   In which year did Texas join the USA?
A5) 1845.

Enjoy those, everyone.

As it’s Roger Waters’ birthday, today … ?   I’ll leave you with Brain Damage … 


And a quote from the Marquis de Lafayette …
“I read, I study, I examine, I listen, I reflect, and out of all of this I try to form an idea into which I put as much common sense as I can.”
Gilbert du Motier, marquis de Lafayette  6 September 1757 – 20 May 1834























*        Yeah, that’s what I though you might suggest, Debbi.   Hmmm … There might just be something coming through in a week or so’s time that I can follow up.   And yes, I think Karen is: although I think she’s planning to do that through Apple’s iBookª scheme.

ª        DAMN … !   It’s only for Mac OS X 10•7•2 and up!   Bugger … !

1 comment:

  1. Well, the campaign is launched! :) I've tweeted you a post that announces it. I'll be posting it on all my blogs probably.

    Any RTs or Facebook shares or whatever you can do to spread the word would be great! :)

    I'll put it on Google+ too.

    So much to do, so little time. :)

    Such crappy hand. Ha ha ha ...

    1. Britain
    2. Richard E. Grant
    3. 1965
    4. Munich
    5. Victoria
    6. Leningrad

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.