Pages

Thursday, 18 October 2012

The Daily Teaser — 18-10-2012

Hmmm … 

I have to admit, I love having Radio Four on, at this time of the morning.

Its Today programme’s amazing, and possibly the only news or current event programme to include Thought For The Day: a quickie essay from a religious leader, triggered by whatever’s in the news.

Today’s was interesting: from a noted Hindu theologian, and triggered by Ilfracombe’s decision to give a home to Damien Hurst’s new … 

Work … 

Mind you, you can see why it’s getting comment from just about everyone that’s seen it.

It’s a Hurst: it’s as eye-popping as a lot of his work … !

Takes ALL sorts, doesn’t it … ?

~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* — just before she heads off for the Austin Film Festival — putting in her answers: along with admitting she’s looking forward to the gig, she ALSO bagged 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and/or you — do with today’s Teaser, shall we?   Here’s those questions, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 18th October, 1922, saw the founding of the BBC.   What did the Beeb first transmit: radio, or television … ?
Q2) More to the point, who was the BBC’s first General Manager … ?
Q3) When the the BBC re-organized itself in 1927, what title did the General Manager get … ?
Q4) More to the point, which secure British organisation shares the same title … ?
Q5) Moving on … 18th October is — officially — Necktie Day.   In which European country … ?
Q6) 18th October, 1954, saw the Regency TR1, the world’s first transistor radio, introduced: by which Dallas based company … ?
Q7) And finally … 18th October, 1860, saw the signing of the treaty that ended which war … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 17th October, 1931, saw Al Capone sentenced for Tax Evasion.   What was the name of the 1987, Kevin Costner film, about Al Capone … ?
A1) The Untouchables.
Q2) More to the point, who played Al Capone in that film … ?
A2) Robert De Niro.
Q3) Name the Bananarama song about that actor … ?
A3) Robert De Niro’s Waiting.
Q4) Moving on … 17th October, 1604, saw Johannes Kepler observe a supernova.   A supernova is an exploding what: planet, star or hand grenade.
A4) Star.
Q5) 17th October, 2003, saw the completion of the world’s (then) tallest building.   In which East Asian country was that building … ?
A5) Taiwan.
Q6) And finally … 17th October, 1980, saw the Queen become the first British monarch to pay a state visit to the Vatican: which pope welcomed her there … ?
A6) John Paul 2nd.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with these wise words from veteran rocker, the Grand master of the Telecaster that is Chuck Berry …
“Don’t let the same dog bite you twice.”Chuck Berry born October 18, 1926.
Oh, and a song from him, as well.


Oh, hell, here’s another … 


Oh, what the heck … !























*        I think you’ll be fine, Debbi: just don’t forget your autograph book … !

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.