Pages

Tuesday, 11 December 2012

The Daily Teaser — 11-12-2012

Bleaugh … !

I HATE five O’clock starts, I really do … !

I have to admit, I’m up early, today, to catch a bus over to Margarettting, near Chelmsford.

For a job interview, so you know.

I’ll be frank, I’m deeply ambiguous.

The job itself is in Brentwood: a relatively trouble free bus ride away.

Margarettting, though … ?   Is, frankly, a pig to get to: there’s only one bus an hour, for starters!

See what I mean about ambiguous … ?   We’ll have to see what happens.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

Yes, let’s … !

~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi — who’s officially mulling over re-covering her first novel* — putting in her answers: AND bagging 9 out of 10.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions.

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 11th December, 1936, saw Edward 8th abdicate: where had he been last Emperor of … ?
Q2) More to the point, Edward 8th was replaced by his younger brother: who’s the current Queen’s late father.   What name did he take the throne as … ?
Q3) Moving on …  11th December, 1962, saw the death of Arthur Lucas: one of the two last person to be judicially executed in which Commonwealth country … ?
Q4) What was the name of the other person to be so executed … ?
Q5) 11th December, 2005, saw a large fire start at the Buncefield Oil Depot.   In which English county is that depot … ?
Q6) And finally … 11th December, 2001, saw which country join the World Trade Organisation … ?
And here’s yesterday’s Nobel Prize marathon …
Q1) 10th December saw the first Nobel Prizes awarded: in which year … ?
A1) 1901.
Q2) More to the point, who won the first Nobel Physics Prize … ?
A2) Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen.
Q3) More to the point, who — in 1989 — won the Nobel Peace Prize … ?
A3) The Dalai Lama.   (You know, the old joke — that His Holiness shares his title with a newspaper for a relative of the camel — ALWAYS floats through my mind … )
Q4) How many Nobel Prizes, currently, are there … ?
A4) 6.
Q5) Name one of them … 
A5) Physics, Chemistry, Literature, Peace, Physiology or Medicine and Economic Sciences.
Q6) Albert Nobel, the man who founded the Prizes, owned which armaments company: Bofors, Bushmaster Firearms or Lürssen … ?
A6) Bofors.
Q7) Nobel famously invented dynamite: in which year of the 1860s did he patent it … ?
A7) 1867.
Q8) More to the point, in which year of the 1850s did he register his first patent … ?
A8) 1857.   (For a gas meter, it seems.)
Q9) Moving on … In which country is the Nobel Peace Prize awarded … ?
A9) Norway.
Q10) And finally … who won the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize … ?
A10) The European Union.
I’ll leave you — still feeling ambiguous — with El Dia Que Me Quieras by Carlos Gardel … 


And with this quote from chess Grandmaster, Viswanathan Anand …
“Everyone has their nemesis. For me it was clearly Kasparov. I don’t think I want to make excuses for that.”
Viswanathan Anand, born 11th December, 1969









*        Well, either way, Debbi … ?   The phrase New York Time Best Seller bit has got to catch a few eye … ! :D

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I think so! Especially if I can get some bookstores to carry it for me, in exchange for promotion on my website or something. How's that sound? :)

    1. India
    2. George VI
    3. Canada
    4. Ronald Turpin
    5. Hertfordshire County
    6. China

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.