Pages

Sunday, 30 December 2012

The Daily Teaser — 30-12-2012


Ooooh … Now THAT’S a useful little app.

I’ve managed to download a copy of Bump from the iTunes app store.

Handy little thing, that: it let’s you exchange files between mobile devices — and mobile devices and a computer — without having to turn on Bluetooth, hook up cables or switch on photo management software.

Like I say … handy … !

Not as much fun as the Space Invaders … but definitely handy … 

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, let’s … 

‹‹•››

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with bagging 6·5 out of 7, she ALSO let us know — here — that Monday’s going to be surreal, AND asked after Sonic The Hedgehog*.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 3rd January, 2011, saw the death of cartoonist, Ronald Searle: which famously anarchic schoolgirls did he create … ?
Q2) 30th December, 1922, saw the founding of the USSR: what does USSR stand for … ?
Q3) 30th December, 1948, saw the opening of which Cole Porter musical … ?
Q4) More to the point, which Best Musical award was it the first to win … ?
Q5) 30th December, 39 AD, saw the birth of which Roman Emperor … ?
Q6) And finally … 30th December, 2002, saw who arrested for drink-driving … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) The night of the 29th December, 1940, saw the Second Great Fire Of London: caused by a bombing raid by whom … ?
A1) The Luftwaffe.
Q2) More to the point, which London Cathedral famously survived that raid … ?
A2) Saint Paul’s.   There’s even a famous photo … 
Q3) 29th December, 1959, saw the Lisbon Metro start operating.  How many stations are there on the Lisbon Metro … ?
A3) 55.
Q4) More to the point, in which European country is Lisbon … ?
A4) Portugal.
Q5) 29th December, 1860, saw the launch of the first Royal Navy ironclad: what was its name … ?
A5) HMS Warrior.
Q6) That ship’s completion and launch was in response to which country launching an ironclad … ?
A6) France.
Q7) And finally … 29th December, 1914, saw the first chapters of A Portrait of the the Artist As A Young Man serialized: who wrote A Portrait of the the Artist As A Young Man … ?
A7) James Joyce.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with this quote from the late, great, Rudyard Kipling …
Fiction is Truth's elder sister. Obviously. No one in the world knew what truth was till some one had told a story.
Rudyard Kipling, 30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936
And his classic poem, If—


And with a brief tune from birthday boy, Jay Kay … 









*        Never had an original copy, myself, Debbi.   That was on the Sony MegaDriveª, many years, ago, which I never had.   I did play it, though, though, just not extensively: if there’s anything I can help with, though, feel free to ask.   Hmmm … Have you a smartphone … ?   There’s a chance that it’s going to have been re-released on it, as it has — in various forms — on the various hand-held consoles.   (I played various roleplaying games, though: Tunnels and Trolls was a favourite, way back in the day, as was 1st/2nd edition Runequestº.)

º        Which, in Glorantha, had a very well worked out background universe.   As I recall, it seemed to kickstart the trend for RPG’s with very good backdrops.

ª        I have managed to get hold of Space Invaders, though, Debbi … :D


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Space Invaders. :) It's been a long time. So long that it was back in the days of going to video game arcades. Rick and I used to do that back when we first started going out. Go to the movies and play videos. Two nerds in a pod, huh? :)

    I don't have a smartphone, but I might just make up my own game. That'll do the trick, right? I am a fiction author. I keep forgetting I can just make stuff up. Ha!

    I'm way too truthful for my own good. And that's a fact.

    Hang tight, and get ready for the surreal ... :)

    1. the schoolgirls of St. Trinian's School
    2. Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
    3. Kiss Me, Kate
    4. the Tony Award
    5. Titus Flavius Vespasianus
    6. Diana Ross

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.