Pages

Saturday, 15 December 2012

Troll Hunter: How to have fun in the Norwegian Backwoods …

14/12/2012.
You know … 

I like watching movies.

Really.

And, BOY, I’m thankful I had enough in my iTunes account to rent one.

I think tonight’s news from the USA — about the Sandy Hook school shootings — definitely left me felling I’d rather not be watching the news.

So I’m hoping you’ll excuse me after what — for me — is a long day, if I hit the sack.

And carry on — in the morning — telling you about the film I saw, tonight, the 2010, André Øvredal directed, Troll Hunter.
15/12/2012.
And I think I can safely say — after sleep, tea and taking in the news — I’ve got my proverbial head together.

I think I needed it: lord along knows what 27 families in Newtown, Connecticut, need.

So, before moving on … ?

I’m going to offer my condolences to those who’ve lost children and loved, yesterday: and hope the USA decides toughening its gun laws makes sense.

Paul, enough!

Let’s tell people about the movie …

≤≤·≥≥

Yes, I should, shouldn’t I … ?

Here goes.

The André Øvredal directed film, Troll Hunter, sees a group of college students — Thomas (Glenn Erland Tosterud), Johanna (Johanna Mørck), and their cameraman Kalle (Tomas Alf Larsen) — film a student project that initially follows bear hunters in the Norwegian backwards.

Where it gets strange …

Is when they first encounter Hans — played by noted Norwegian comedian, Otto Jespersen* — who they believe to be a bear poacher.

Following him, they find out they’re wrong.

Hans isn’t hunting bears.

Oh no …

He’s in the front line in the hunt for much bigger prey.

One that’s moving out of its usual territory … and has more problems than you think …

≤≤·≥≥

Now, you’re probably looking at me and wondering whether I enjoyed myself with Troll Hunter, last night.

Absolutely … !

OK, granted it’s not perfect: that ‘found footage’ style is going to possibly annoy at least one person I know.   And subtitled film — whoever good — aren’t everyone’s cup of tea.

None-the-less, Troll Hunter is an unrepentant gem of a film: nicely written, beautifully put together and with a bone-dry sense of humour.

Troll Hunter is certainly worth catching … !
Troll Hunter
★★★☆
















*        Going by his Wikipedia entry, Jespersen’s a touch … ahhh … a touch radical.   The NEAREST equivalent I could think of would be — in an English language version of the film — to cast Stephen Fry or Lenny Bruce in the role.   Or possibly Warren Mitchell in full-on Alf Garnett mode … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.