Pages

Sunday, 17 February 2013

The Daily Teaser — 17-2-2013

Phew … 

Yes, I know that’s a strange way of opening: but it’s well worth it.

But basically … ?   It sums up the amount of housework I did, yesterday.

Yes, I know: single bloke, it’s not exactly going to be stunning amounts of house work.

But at least I’ve managed to wave a damp cloth at my kitchen surfaces: which is better than nothing.

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?   Yes, let’s … !

««†»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with telling us she’d enjoyed yesterday’s quote and video, she also scored 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and video … 

Q1) 17th February, 2003, saw the formal start of the London Congestion Charge: who was Mayor of London, at the time … ?
Q2) More to the point, who’s the current holder of the post … ?
Q3) Moving on … 17th February, 1979, saw which country invaded by China … ?
Q4) 17th February, 1992, saw serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer receive 15 life sentences, at the end of his trial: by a court in which US state … ?
Q5) 17th February, 1904, saw the debut of Madame Butterfly, in Milan.   Who was its composer … ?
Q6) And finally … 17th February, 1959, saw Prime Minister Adnan Menderes survive a plane crash that killed 12 other people.   where was he PM of … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 
Q1) 16th February, 1923, saw Howard Carter unseal the tomb of King Tutankhamun: which (modern) North African country did Tutankhamun rule … ?
A1) Egypt.
Q2) More to the point, which dynasty did Tutankhamun belong to … ?
A2) The 18th.
Q3) Moving on … 16th February, 1978, saw the creation of the world’s first online bulletin board system: in which US city … ?
A3) Chicago.
Q4) 16th February, 2005, saw the Kyoto Protocol on Climate Change come into force, after being signed by which country … ?
A4) Russia.
Q5) More to the point, what does that Protocol govern: greenhouse gas emissions, acid rain or ocean pollution … ?
A5) Greenhouse gas emission.
Q6) And finally … 16th February, 2006, saw the US Army close its last MASH units: what did MASH stand for … ?
A6) Mobile Army Surgical Hospital.
I’ll leave you with this quote from writer, André Norton …


“There's no night without stars.”
Andre Norton, February 17, 1912 – March 17, 2005.
And this tune from Bobby Lewis …













*        I hope today’s go down as well, Debbi.   (Actually, as I recall … ?   Tomorrow’s are … interesting.   I had to hunt for them … )

1 comment:

  1. I liked them enough to include them in today's post. You really have a knack for picking songs and quotations. :)

    1. Ken Livingstone
    2. Boris Johnson
    3. Vietnam
    4. Wisconsin
    5. Giacomo Puccini
    6. Turkey

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.