Pages

Thursday, 14 February 2013

The Daily Teaser — 14-2-2013: The Saint Valentine’s Day Teaser.

Good LORD … !

And it’s not often I say that, at the start of a Teaser post.

With the Pope handing in his notice at the start of the week, it’s been something of a shock week for news.

Today’s stunner … ?   Is that Olympic/Paralympic athlete, Oscar Pistorius — the Bladerunner, himself — has just shot his girlfriend.

I’ve just been chatting, via Twitter, to Old Peculiar regular, @derestrict: seemingly, South Africa has seriously high crime rates.   What seems to have happened is that Oscar seems to have mistaken her for an intruder, and opened fire.   From what @derestrict tells me, it’s an unfortunately common incident.   (He also tells me the young lady was both a model, and from Port Elizabeth, his hometown.)

It’s a sad event, really: especially when you realise today is the day it is … and possibly her motivation was to surprise her fella on Valentine’s Day.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

Yes … 

~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with gently letting us know her and her partner, Rick, had pancakes on Sunday, she also managed to bag 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) Saint Valentine of Terni — whose feast is 14th February — was killed during the reign of which Roman Emperor: Aurelius, Hadrian or Commodus … ?
Q2) Saint Valentine of Rome — ALSO celebrated on 14th of February — was apparently murdered on which Roman road: the via Appia, via Cassia or the via Flaminia … ?
Q3) Fitzwilliam Darcy appeared in which novel?
Q4) Which famous novel is set in Wragby Hall?
Q5) Would you make love to an odalisque … ?
Q6) The recent vote in the House of Commons on same sex marriage, saw how many votes in favour … ?
Q7) And finally … which fruit was known as the love apple … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 13th February, 2001, saw a man go on trial in Glasgow: for knowingly infecting a victim with what … ?
A1) HIV/AIDS.
Q2) 13th February, 2012, saw who launch a rocket from French Guiana?
A2) The European Space Agency.
Q3) More to the point, what type of rocket was it … ?
A3) Vega.
Q4) 13th February, 1955, saw the Israeli government obtain four of the seven then known what … ?
A4) Dead Sea Scrolls.
Q5) 13th February, 1971 saw South Vietnamese troops invade which country … ?
A5) Laos.
Q6) And finally … 13th February, 2000, saw the publication of the last ever Peanuts strip: which Peanuts character is a beagle … ?
A6) Snoopy.
I’ll leave you with a few things, today: firstly, a slight warning.   The end slide of today’s Teaser video includes a shot of the bodies from the Saint Valentine’s Day Massacre.   It’s gruesome: and seemed mildly sardonic, at the timeª.   At least, until today’s news broke!

I’ll also leave you with this quote from Aristotle …
“Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.”
Aristotle.
And with this song from Bob Marley.












*        You know, Debbi, the silly side of me’s tempted to say “Can you whip one up for me, next time?   Ta!”.   Funnily enough … ?   It’s the side of me that’s got the same sense of humour as my nephew, Jude … :D


ª        As did the intro … !

2 comments:

  1. You know, I thought Q5 would go down well.

    So to speak … :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness. I can barely do my own! Ha! :)

    1. Aurelius or Aurelian
    2. the Via Flaminia
    3. Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman
    4. Lady Chatterley's Lover
    5. well ... no, actually, she'd clean my room or something, I think :)
    6. 400
    7. the tomato

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.