Pages

Tuesday, 10 September 2013

The Daily Teaser — 10-9-2013

Hmmm … 

THAT’S a bother.

I have to admit, last night was tiring.   I was, after all, putting together the newest batch of Teaser videos for here.

Of course, I was ALSO using my iPod to access Facebook.

What happened … ?   Someone in Manchester tried to access my Facebook account.

Forcing me to change my account’s password.

It’s a pain when something like that happens: I’m having a job and a half reconnecting the (very few) games I play on both my iPod AND on FB, after the change.

Better safe than sorry, I think.

But, boy, that’s going to be fiddly‡!

~≈^≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with bagging three out of five, she also let me know she had an idea or two she wanted to talk over with me.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s Teaser.

Here it is, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 10th September, 1846, saw Elias Howe patent a sewing machine.   Which American actor and inventor made his fortune from his range of sewing machines … ?
Q2) 10th September, 1967, saw the people of where, vote to stay a UK dependency … ?
Q3) More to the point, remaining British, rather than be part of which European country … ?
Q4) 10th September, 2002, saw which famously neutral country join the United Nations … ?
Q5) 10th September, 1939, saw the birth of Cynthia Powell: famously, whose first wife … ?
Q6) Finally … 10th September, 1823, saw who elected as President of Peru … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 9th September, 1947, saw the finding of the world’s first computer bug: at which US university … ?
A1) Harvard.
Q2) 9th September, 1976, saw the death of Chairman Mao.   How is Quotations from Chairman Mao better known, in the West … ?
A2) The Little Red Book.
Q3) 9th September, 1850, saw California admitted as the 31st state of the USA.   What’s the capital of California … ?
A3) Sacramento.
Q4) 9th September, 1988, saw seven members of England’s cricket team refused visas to India: after they went on a rebel sporting tour, where … ?
A4) To South Africa.
Q5) Finally … 9th September, 1942, saw the only Japanese air-raids on US soil: on which US state … ?
A5) Oregon†.
Enjoy those.

In memory of early feminist writer, Mary Wollstonecraft, I’ll leave you with this thought …
“The endeavor to keep alive any hoary establishment beyond its natural date is often pernicious and always useless.”
Mary Wollstonecraft, 27 April 1759 – 10 September 1797.
And — given it’s Siobhan Fahey’s birthday — with this tune … 


Have a good day.














*        Now I’m worried, Debbi … ! :D   But on a serious note, that’s cool!

†        If I’ve understood it correctly, Debbi, the Japanese used a version of what we, here in the UK, call a Chinese Lantern to launch bombs at the US pacific northwest.

‡        Got It … !   Had to change it in my iPod’s settings … !

1 comment:

  1. No worries, Paul! I just need to work out the concept a bit, then run it past you. It could be a really awesome thing. Maybe the most ambitious project of my life.

    Does that sound intriguing? Ha! :)

    1. Gordon McKay
    2. Gibraltar
    3. Spain
    4. Switzerland
    5. good old John Lennon
    6. Simon Bolivar

    It's something I thought about ages ago. I can't believe I'm actually thinking about it again. That's all I can say for now. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.