Pages

Tuesday, 24 September 2013

The Daily Teaser — 24-9-2013: The Commercial Internet

I’ve got to admit, I’ve got a documentary on, that I taped, last night: A Very British Murder, a potted history of grisly murder tales.

Interesting stuff, I have to admit.

Although, it has to be said, I hadn’t realised quite how much of a ham the presenter — historian, Dr Lucy Worsley — has turned out to be.

Happily singing along with assorted folk songs and doing a lot of the re-enacting, herself.

Still … it’s rather good.

After all, who doesn’t enjoy a gruesome murder, every-so-often … ?

QUITE … !

~≈î≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with scoring four and a half† out of five, she also let us know she felt there were similarities between the Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings movies.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s rather commercial questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 24th September, 1979, saw the launch of the world’s first commercial internet service.   By which company … ?
Q2) That company is — or was — an ISP.   What does ISP stand for … ?
Q3) The debut also saw the first commercial what: email, file transfer service or video streaming … ?
Q4) In which year of the 1990s did the company open a UK service: 1993, 1994 or 1995 … ?
Q5) Finally … that original company is now owned by which well known American company … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 23rd September, 1980, saw Bob Marley play his last live concert.   Which of his hits includes the line “Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind” … ?
A1) Redemption Song.
Q2) 23rd September, 2000, saw Sir Steve Redgrave win his fifth Olympic gold medal.   In which sport … ?
A2) Rowing.
Q3) 23rd September, 1909, saw the publication of the first part of The Phantom Of The Opera.   Who played the Phantom, in the classic 1925 silent film version … ?
A3) Lon Chaney, Snr.
Q4) 23rd September, 1932, saw the Kingdom of Nejd and Hejaz renamed what … ?
A4) The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Q5) Finally … 23rd September, 1951, saw news that the UK’s king has had part of his lung removed.   Which King was this … ?
A5) George 6th.
I’ll leave you with this promotional piece …
“CompuServe's basic service costs only $5.00 per hour, billed in minute increments to your charge card.”
From CompuServe’s advertising.
And this … 


Have a good day … 


















*        I thought they were very different films, myself, Debbi: but I’d grown up on Tolkien.   I do know Frank Herbert and David Lynch were expecting issues with the film version of Dune: deserts, and rebels, fighting an evil empire … 

†        Yeah, sorry about that, Debbi: Lon Chaney Snr and Jnr were two different actors … 

3 comments:

  1. You must have missed programs by the great Lucy. She does love to dress up and get involved. If I remember right I think she cross dressed as Beau Brummel in one documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might JUST have missed that one, Trevor …

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, of course. Oops! :)

    1. Compuserve
    2. Internet service provider
    3. email
    4. 1995
    5. AOL

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.