Pages

Thursday, 28 November 2013

The Daily Teaser — 28-11-2013

You know, RIGHT now … ?

Right now, I’m glad to have a functioning TV: given the recent problems we’ve had with our building’s aerial.

Which are still ongoing, for some of us*.

On a personal front, front, though?   It means that I’ve had a chance to catch up with the BBC Strange Days series, about the Cold War.

It’s covering the 1980s: strange days, indeed: cold war fear, and even more fearsome hairdos … !

Saying that … ?   Well, it seems that a few UK acts played West Berlin during the period: Bowie’s Heroes went down a storm.


Bring’s back a few memories, doesn’t it?

Let’s get a move on: we can dodge more traffic in Memory Lane, that way … 

~≈Ï≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi† putting in her answers: along with letting us know she couldn’t get through to the BBC’s global iPlayer service, also bagging five out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?  Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 28th November, 1963, saw Cape Canaveral renamed Cape … what … ?
Q2) 28th November, 1925, saw the first broadcast from the Grand Ole Opry, from Nashville, Tennessee: what was the station originally called … ?
Q3) 28th November, 1960, saw Mauritania become independent of France.   On which continent is Mauritania?
Q4) 28th November, 1967m, saw horse-racing suspended in the UK: after an outbreak of which disease?
Q5) Finally … 28th November, 1991, saw South Ossetia declare its independence: from where … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 27th November, 1582, saw the Marriage License issued: for William Shakepeare’s wedding to whom … ?
Q2) More to the point, how old was Will, when his happened … ?
A2) 18.
Q3) More to the point, how old was his bride?
A3) Sources vary: but somewhere between 26 and 27.
Q4) Six months later, Mrs Shakespeare gave birth to her and Will’s eldest daughter: prematurely, at a guess, as shotguns hadn’t been invented.   What was the daughter’s name?
A4) Susanna.
Q5) Finally … in his will, Will willed his second best what to his wife … ?
A5) Bed.

Enjoy those.   I’ll leave you with this observation from actress, Karen Gillan …
“I got the recall, the second audition. That was when I started sweating.”
Karen Gillan, 28th November, 1987.
And — as a nod to David van Day — this song … 


Have a good day.













*        I’ve pinned up a note to the front door of our building: giving the email address that people can complain to.   I hope they do: the more the merrier … !

†        That’s a dratted pain, Debbi, that really is … !   (I know the BBC’s online shop has it: although it’s noticeably priced in pounds, rather than dollars: you’re possibly going to have to hunt it up in the US, I’m afraid.   It is worth the effect, though‡.)

‡        Oh, hang on … wouldn’t you know it, the DVD’s on the US Amazon site … 

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. Could be on B&N, too.

    1. Kennedy
    2. WSM
    3. Africa
    4. foot-and-mouth disease
    5. either Georgia or Russia

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.