Pages

Friday, 8 November 2013

The Daily Teaser — 8-11-2013: Cortés

Hmmm … 

THAT’S official, then: I’m going to be having visitors, later … 

I have to confess, I got a call last night from an old friend of my sister’s, who’s needing help, splicing some music together.

Lord knows how much help I can be.

Beyond having a basic knowledge of open source sound editing software, Audacity, and the sound layering capabilities of iMovie, I’m blowed if there’s much I CAN do.

Still … it doesn’t do to turn down a young lady, does it … ?   If the sound tweaking goes well, I’ll let you know.

Now … let’s move on, shall we?

~≈$≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with a big thank you, she also managed to bag six out of seven.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 8th November, 1519, saw Hernán Cortés enter which Central American city … ?
Q2) That city was ruled by which native American tribe: the Aztec, Inca or Mayans … ?
Q3) The tribe concerned was led by whom … ?
Q4) The ruins of the city are in what’s now which Central American country … ?
Q5) Finally … Cortés was one of the generation of Spanish conquerors known as … what … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 7th November, 1917, saw the start of the October Revolution: in what’s now which country … ?
A1) Russia: or the Russian Federation, I should say.
Q2) The October revolution started when Bolsheviks stormed which Palace?
A2) The Winter Palace.
Q3) That palace is in what’s now which city … ?
Q4) It’s called the October Revolution because it started on 25th October, 1917, in the older form of calendar, used at the time.   What was that calendar called … ?
A4) The Julien Calendar.
Q5) The assault on the palace was led by whom … ?
Q6) The start of the assault was signaled by a shot from which battleship … ?
A6) The Aurora.
Q7) Finally … the assault — and revolution — led to the creation, in 1922, of which state … ?
Enjoy those.

I’ll leave you with a traditional poem …
“Who could conquer Tenochitlán?
   Who could shake the foundation of heaven?”
Traditional Meso-American poem.
And with yet another Eurovision entry: one with a bit of a clue … 


Enjoy the day … 















*        My pleasure, Debbi … !  (Oh, it was the Aurora, by the way: if I’ve got it right, the Potemkin saw the mutiny, a few months earlier, that was one of the triggers.)

1 comment:

  1. Okay.

    1. Mexico City
    2. Aztecs
    3. Moctezuma (sp?) or Montezuma
    4. Mexico
    5. conquistadors

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.