Pages

Monday, 2 December 2013

The Arrival: Ho-Hum-Hokum … !

2nd December, 2013.
You know, last month was a bit of a git.

No, really … !

As you’ve possibly know — by hitting the aerial tag at the bottom of the page — the communal aerial in my building: and took a week to get repaired.

The job’s still not finished: there are — to the best of my current knowledge — still three flats with no Sky signal.

What’s more … ?

What’s more, during that week, I seriously caned my broadband allowance: using the BBC’s catch-up service, the BBC iPlayer.   With the net result that I was seriously close to incurring extra charges, for going over that limit.

That close-run thing … ?

Meant I didn’t actually use the little credit I had left on my iTunes account: that would DEFINITELY have put me over the edge.

Until last night, that it.   The limit gets reset, every month.

That reset meant I could happily download a rental movie, without paying any extra.

And, given I fancied watching a film: one not dictated by simply what I had on an external drive, OR was on a catch-up service, or my shelf … ?

Well, I went ahead and rented a flick.

If you hadn’t guessed from the poster, the 1996, David Twohy directed, The Arrival.

And, yes … I think ‘hokum’ is possibly the word … 

~≈Î≈~

The Arrival sees Charlie Sheen as Zane Zaminsky, a radio astronomer who — whilst talking simultaneously to his girlfriend on the phone, and a colleague sitting next to him — starts receiving a signal: from the star, Wolf 336, one seemingly from an intelligent life form.

It’s only when he reports this to his boss — Phil Gordian, played by Ron Silver — that he get’s fired: and, whilst working as a satellite tv installer, finds himself slowly being blacklisted by other telescopes.

That’s when his problems REALLY start … !

~≈Î≈~

Now, I was saying about hokum … ?

Yes … I think I can safely say The Arrival really is a load of old hokum: the plot does seem to kangaroo down the road like a learner driver, the script seems workable, if not stunning, and bar Charlie Sheen, the acting’s craftsman-like, rather than Oscar winning.

Actually … ?

Charlie does manage to describe himself as ‘looking like a can of smashed arseholes’, at one point: which worked a lot better than some lines.   And summed up his performance quite well … … 

Saying that … ?

Saying that, I do know this.

The Arrival is actually surprisingly entertaining hokum.   Just don’t expect much*!
The Arrival
★☆☆☆























*        No, really, don’t expect much!   Saying that … ?   There’s a scene where Sheen descends into the aliens underground base: that got me thinking that possibly the films makers had been reading Dante’s Inferno and wanted to do a sci-fi retelling.

Alien Secrets

The Arrival
— MOVIECLIPS.com


And the film also has some interesting ways of cleaning a place up … 


Oy, vey … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.