Pages

Thursday, 26 December 2013

The Daily Teaser — 26-12-2013: Boxing Day

Phew … !

It’s now — officially — not Christmas Day.

You knew that, didn’t you … ?

At ANY rate, I know I, and my family, have managed to give each other as many gifts as we could: I know I’m appreciating the new keyboard and mouse*.

At ANY rate … ?   Well, I don’t know about you, but I’ve had a fairly good night’s sleep: especially after writing about last’s Dr Who Christmas special, The Time Of The Doctor.

But still feel tired … !   Hopefully, I’ll be able to get over that, given another really strong cuppa.

For ONE thing, my mother’s now got a new iPad mini she wants me to set up.   For another … ?   it’s my nephew, Jude’s, birthday, today.

The other-excitement’s going to give someone a heart attack … !

With THAT all said … ?   Let’s get a move on … !

~≈Í≈~

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions and answers, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 26th December is Boxing Day: it’s ALSO St Stephen’s Day.   Which king — according to the old carol — looked out on the Feast of Stephen … ?
Q2) That king was ACTUALLY a Duke of which European region: Transylvania, Bohemia or Moldova … ?
Q3) In which country of the British Isles is Saint Stephen’s Day ALSO known as the ‘Day of the Wren’ … ?
Q4) In horse racing, the King George 6th Chase is held on Boxing Day, at Kempton Park.   In which English county is Kempton Park: Surrey, Sussex or Kent … ?
Q5) Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia all have Saint Stephen as their patron saint.   Which Communist country were they once all a part of … ?
Q6) Two Spanish regions also have Saint Stephen as a Patron saint: name either …
Q7) Which one hit wonders had a hit with ‘BoxerBeat’ … ?
Q8) In which English county would you find the village of Box … ?
Q9) What nickname is given to the flight — or data — recorder on planes and other form of transport … ?
Q10) Finally … a humidor is a box designed to contained what … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) Today is Christmas Day: obviously!   Celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, the central figure in which religion … ?
Q2) The first recorded use of the word ‘Christmas’ — the Old English word ‘Crīstesmæsse’ — was in which year: 1037, 1038 or 1039?
A2) 1038.
Q3) The Ancient Roman festival that corresponds to Christmas Day was the Dies Sol Invictus: which translates as the Day Of The Victoriouswhat … ?
A3) Sun.
Q4) Traditionally, Christmas pudding is made a few days in advance of Christmas Day: on Stir Upwhen … ?
A4) Stir Up Sunday.
Q5) Which obligate hemi-parasitic plant are you allowed to kiss under, on Christmas Day … ?
A5) Mistletoe.
Q6) Christmas song, Jingle Bells was originally written to celebrate which US holiday … ?
Q7) The original Christmas Cards were commissioned by Sir Henry Cole: in which year of the 1840s … ?
A7) 1843.
Q8) Christmas Jones appears in which James Bond film … ?
Q9) Noted judge and barrister, Christmas Humphreys, QC, was one of Britain’s best known converts to which religion … ?
A9) Buddhism.
Q10) The ‘x’ in Xmas actually represents which Greek letter: sigma, omega or chi … ?
A10) Chi.
I’ll leave you with this thought from Snopes …
“Gifts among equals were exchanged on or before Christmas Day, but beneficences to those less fortunate were bestowed the day after.”
From the Snopes Entry about Boxing Day.
And with a piece of 1980s frippery … 


Enjoy your day.













*        One of the Apple Magic Mice: takes a bit of getting used to, but it’s not bad … !   Actually … ?   It’s something of a joy to use … !

†        Likewise, Debbi! And I hope the day went well for you and Rick … !   (Actually, did I tell you … ?   Ruth and Jude got me a Gallifrey University: Prydonian Chapter t-shirt.   Families, hey … ? :D )

1 comment:

  1. Cool! One of Rick's young cousins got a Terry Pratchett book for Christmas! He likes fantasy and sci-fi, so I told him that he was in for a treat! :)

    1. Wencelas
    2. Bohemia
    3. Isle of Man
    4. Surrey
    5. Yugoslavia
    6. Catalonia
    7. JoBoxers
    8. Wiltshire
    9. black box
    10. cigars

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.