Pages

Thursday, 15 May 2014

The Daily Teaser — 15-5-2014: In The Shadow Of The Gun … 

You know, I’m thinking I’m going to have to gently retire Bruce, my aging Mac mini.

I think the overheating he suffers — especially after using Flash-intensive games — is getting a bit nasty.

OK, granted, I’m going to need about £500 to get a replacement.

Tricky, given my income!

Still: hopefully I can gently think of SOMETHING!

Even if it’s only installing a Donate button!

With that said … ?

Let’s get a move on … 

~≈Á≈~
Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring five out of six.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1)        15th May, 1718, saw James Puckle patent a well known type of gun: what type of gun?
Q2)        What was Puckle’s day job … ?
Q3)        What did he call his gun: a defence gun, attack gun or show gun … ?
Q4)        Moving on, slightly: the Gatling gun, a very early machine gun, was first used in which country’s civil war … ?
Q5)        Other machine guns — like the Maxim, Vickers and Chuchat — saw  their first widespread use in which 20th Century war … ?
Q6)        What name is given to the grooves found in many gun barrels … ?
Q7)        What do those grooves improve about a bullet … ?
Q8)        People who smoke will have a relative of the flintlock gun in their pocket.   What is it … ?
Q9)        Which science fiction series had an episode called Spectre of the Gun … ?
Q10)        Name either of the bands to release a version of the song, The Guns Of Navarone, in the UK.
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 14th May saw the administration of the world’s first vaccination: against which disease?
A1) Smallpox.
Q2) In which year of the 1790s was this … ?
A2) 1796.
Q3) Who was the English doctor who developed and administered the vaccine … ?
Q4) He developed the vaccine from a lesion of a sufferer from which disease … ?
A4) Cowpox.
Q5) The word ‘vaccine’, comes from the word ‘vacca’: the Latin word for what … ?
A5) cow’.
Q6) Finally … in which year did the World Health Organization declare the disease in question to have been eradicated … ?
A6) 1980.
I’ll leave you with this thought from Bill Hicks …
“England, where no one has guns; fourteen deaths. United States — and I think you know how we feel about guns; whoo! I’m gettin’ a stiffy — 23,000 deaths from handguns. But there’s no connection, and you’d be a fool and a communist to make one.”
Bill Hicks.
And with Sten Guns In Knightsbridge


Have a good day.














*        I’ve got to admit to thoroughly enjoying the digital media thing, Debbi: the combination of iTunes, Mac, iPod and TV are very handy.   AND let me listen to some of the odder web-based radio stations†.   And saves space on DVDs shelves!   I have to admit, though, I usually go for print books, over digital.   That’s a matter of money, though: my iPod’s screen isn’t exactly book sized, I can’t necessarily afford a Kindle … and Brentwood Library’s not THAT far …

†        There’s a couple of House stations‡ that are quite good to listen to, while writing …

‡        Actually, I’ve just been listening to Radio 4.   Nick Clegg’s got a community sentence for arson … !

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. I'm with you. I also like libraries. I often get new books from the library, although now that I have an ereader, I download them, too.

    1. the Puckle gun
    2. lawyer
    3. a defense gun
    4. the U.S.
    5. WWI
    6. rifling
    7. accuracy
    8. charcoal
    9. Star Trek
    10. the Skatalites

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.