5th February, 2015.
You know, just for once … ? Just for once … ?
Just for once, I’m going to put the poster on the left hand side.
No, really.
Normally, when I write about the films I watch, I tend to put the posters on the right hand side of the post: and write the text down the left.
Tonight … ?
I thought I’d swap.
A bit.
Frankly … ?
I’m in something of an odd mood, to be honest. And felt the change would be a good thing: however actually minor the change may be.
At ANY rate … ?
At any rate, I had a quiet night in, tonight.
A quiet night in … and a few films in the collection I’d not actually sat down and watched.
Including the one I’ve just finished watching, not twenty minutes ago.
The 2013 biopic that is …
Jobs.
And yes: much as I’m a fan of both Apple — as a maker of rather good products — and of the man himself — very few CEO’s are that charismatic — I’m not sure the film managed to hit the mark …
~≈Ê≈~
The film opens in 2001: by showing us Ashton Kutcher as the late Apple co-counder, Steve Jobs, presenting the original version of the iPod.
Then, moving backwards through time, to 1974: to the time when Jobs dropped out of Reed College, but still managed to take some classes.
Then manages to fast forward to meeting Apple co-founder, Steve Wozniak, and early employee, Dan Kottke: and the initial setting up of the company, its funding by Mike Markkula, and Jobs ousting from the firm he’d originally built.
From there … ?
The film next stops — or NeXT stops! — at Jobs rehiring by the Apple board.
Rehiring …
And moving the company on to some for of success.
~≈Ê≈~
Now …
About not hitting the mark … ?
Yes, I’m think I’m right: I don’t know that the Joshua Michael Stern directed Jobs did hit any kind of mark.
Oh, as far as I can see the film has a good cast: Kutcher, in the title role, does well enough, with Josh Gad standing out* as Steve Wozniak, and Giles Matthey as Sir Jonathan Ive doing capably enough.
Personally … ?
Personally, though, I felt the film was relatively lightweight.
Oh, granted, it covers the main points of Steve Jobs’ time with Apple, well enough: but doesn’t go into any depth.
At least, not enough to satisfy me.
It ignores — or overlooks — the time Jobs spent at NeXT computers, and he work he put in, setting up Pixar.
AND manages to overlook the fact Jobs and Wozniak’s first commercial venture … ?
Was building and selling blue boxes — devices that allowed one to make free phone calls — to assorted phone phreaks and … ah … shadier members of the community.
Details can be important, I think.
~≈Ê≈~
Speaking personally … ?
I have to conclude that Jobs … is good …
Good, but also flawed.
Frankly … ?
It could well have been better.
Jobs
★☆☆☆
* Anyone doing a film about Steve Jobs — or Apple — can’t ignore those two. The film — rightly, I felt — presents Steve Jobs as being the business head that powered Apple to its early success: AND, on returning, helped turned it into the business Goliath it is, now. But … ? But you can’t overlook Wozniak’s role in designing the original Apple 1 and 2 computer: nor can you overlook Jonny Ive’s work on the original iMacs, or iPods, in the company’s success.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.