21st May, 2015.
You know, there’s something I’ve not done for a while.
No, really.
Actually … there’s several things I’ve not done for a while.
I’ve not eaten steak, to give you an example.
Played pinball, as another.
Had sex with Maria Shara … … No, forget I mentioned Maria Sharapova, would you?
Let’s just say my love life’s bleak: to non-existent, shall we?
And leave that thought, right there in the gutter, where it belongs!
At ANY rate … ? The thing I meant to tell you I’d not done for a while?
Was catch a film.
I’ve caught one tonight: the Drew Casson penned, Hungerford.
And frankly … ?
I’m thinking it’s interesting … although I’m not sure …
~≈Â≈~
Set in the small town of Hungerford, the film sees Cowan — played by actor, director and writer, Drew Casson — a college student who’s film a video diary about his week, for his Media Studies course.
And, in the course of an argument with his flat-mates, Phillipa, Kip and Adam … ? Noticing that the town seems to have been hit by something that looks like a cross between a seriously heavy storm: and a nuclear explosion.
That’s on day one of the diary.
Day two … ?
Is when Phillipa gets attacked by the postman.
The postman only stops, when Adam sprays some deodorant into the posty’s face.
The rest of the week … ?
Only goes downhill from there …
~≈Â≈~
Now …
Interesting … ?
Yes … …
For — to paraphrase the late Sir Terry Pratchett — a given value of interesting.
You see, I do like an independently made film, now and again. Noel Clarke, bless him, usually manages to knock out a good one, for example.
But I can’t help but compare Hungerford to another little indie flick I’ve seen: Absentia, back in 2012.
And, while I think Absentia’s actually the better of the two films, I’m also aware that Hungerford is much that same sort of indie flick.
I felt Absentia was and is much like the thousands of tapes the late John Peel would have received.
The lucky ones would’ve got played a time or two.
The really lucky ones would’ve got a session or two.
The incredibly lucky ones? Would’ve got more sessions, a LOT of air time and possibly a record deal, on the strength of those sessions.
I’m thinking, here, that Hungerford, much like Absentia before it, is a John Peel session.
It’s interesting to watch: you can hear the rough melody, the band knows what they’re doing with it …
But it’s not quite done, yet.
Hungerford
★☆☆☆

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.