11th August, 2016.
You know …
There are times when time off can be as … well … as boring a feck.
If you’ll excuse the language.
On the other hand … ?
On the other hand, getting the first visitors you’ve had for a while — thanking you, Jeanie, and Callum — can make a day go faster.
As can something else.
Yep.
I’ve caught myself a movie.
Personally? I’ve always felt Alan Moore’s habit off keeping his name OFF film versions of his work could be good: or bad.
In this case … ? Well …
~≈Ê≈~
Batman: The Killing Joke opens with scenes not in the original graphic novel",by showing us Batgirl (Tara Strong) on patrol with Batman (Kevin Conroy): in pursuit of bank robbers led by Paris Franz.
And almost coming to grief: when — in capturing him — she almost kills Franz.
The action moves quickly on: as, in the aftermath of the Batman is summoned by Commissioner Gordon.
Batman’s old nemesis, the Joker (Mark Hamill), has escaped from Arkham Asylum.
The Joker … ? Has a point to prove …
That all it takes for someone like Commissioner Gordon to go mad?
Is to have one bad day…
Much like the Joker, himself …
~≈Ê≈~
Now … ‘Ummm?’
Yes …
Ummm … !
I have to admit to having a lot of time for Moore and Bolland’s original The Killing Joke: the way it updated the Joker’s story was and is popular, AND remains a fan favourite.
AND has an artistry too it the film doesn’t match.
But?
While there are some very good treatments of Moore’s work out there — Watchmen is magnificent, I feel, as is V for Vendetta — I can’t help but think this animated version of The Killing Joke isn’t one of them.
It is, I feel, good, at best: AND attempts to add elements to the story that AREN’T in The original novel.
I can’t help but think those of us wishing to read The Killing Joke should do exactly that.
Read the original graphic novel.
The film … ? Adds too much too many extras to be completely satisfying.
Batman: The Killing Joke
★☆☆☆


No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.