10th May, 2017.
Hmm …
Do you ever the get the feeling I … umm … like watching a film or two … ?
You don’t … ?
You’ve not been paying attention, have you … ?
But let me just emphasise the point, here.
I like watching films.
TV, as well: and listening to music.
Brian Eno’s Discreet Music, in case you’re wondering.
I’m in that kind of mood.
I’ve ALSO been in the mood — having a quiet night in — to catch a film.
You’re looking at the poster, aren’t you … ?
You’d be right …
~≈Ë≈~
Set in Tehran, during the Iran-Iraq War, Under the Shadow introduces us to Shideh (Narges Rashidi), a former medical student desperate to continue her training: but barred from doing so, as a result of her political activities during the Iranian Revolution.
Barred, and depressed?
She heads home: only to find her husband, Irej, is leaving her and their daughter, Dorsa …
He’s a doctor: one who’s been conscripted and placed on the front line.
If that’s not enough … ?
The Iraqi missile that lands on the roof doesn’t exactly look reassuring …
~≈Ë≈~
Now …
Was I impressed?
Or was that “Not Bad,” comment in the title telling you something … ?
Well …
I got interested in seeing Under the Shadow as a result of Mark Kermode’s review on the BBC news channel.
I’ve usually found him a reliable guide to a good, or bad, movie.
He’s rated a few I’ve seen …
And spoke well of this film.
Personally?
I think I can only agree with him … up to a certain extent.
Yes: Under the Shadow is a watchable film.
But feel setting it during a war was something that didn’t add to the fright factor: at least for me. Despite knowing the Civil War setting was something that worked both for Pan’s Labyrinth and The Devil’s Backbone.
Given that? And the fact I feel it may be just a touch too derivative of The Babadook?
Well …
I liked Under the Shadow. It’s not bad: just not high on the list of films I tell you you have to go and see.
Under the Shadow.
★☆☆☆

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.