Pages

Monday, 25 February 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 25-2-2019: Gimme Shelter.

25th February, 2019.


Well, I never … 

That’s another set of statistics to add to the list … 

The list, in question?   Being the long list of of Oscar winners for 2019.

Speaking as a former pub quiz-master?

I’m aware there’s going to be more than a few QMs who’ll be frantically adding questions to their sets.

I’ve just added to to my collection ton, myself.

At any rate … ?

It’s nice to know Olivia Colman’s done well.

And nice to see that Rami Malek’s grabbed the Best Actor gong.

Now … 

Does any one know what series four of Mr Robot hits our screen?

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf*, and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) The first Anderson air raid shelter went into operation, in the UK: on 25th February of which year?
Q2) The shelter were important: during which war?
Q3) During that war, many Londoners sheltered in what?
Q4) The standard six person Anderson shelter was made of corrugated … what?
Q5) Finally … the Anderson shelters were complimented by indoor table shelters: called what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 24th February is the Ancient Roman festival of Regifugium.   It marks the flight from Rome of the last Roman … what?
A1) King.   (That last king was Tarquinius Superbus.)
Q2) A new type of Penny Red was issued: on 24th February, 1854.   It was the first stamp … with what?
Q3) 24th February, 1948, saw the birth of Tim Staffell: the guitarist for a band called Smile.   That band — after Tim left — evolved into which English rock band?
A3) Queen.
Q4) More than seventy roads in the UK were blocked by snow: on 24th February of which year … ?
A4) 1955.
Q5) Finally … ?   24th February, 2018, saw the death of actress, Sridevi.   She was the highest paid star in which country’s film industry … ?
A5) India’s.
Here’s a thought …
“As I ran, I looked ahead and realised a bomb had made an almost a direct hit on an Anderson shelter. As I got near, I realised our neighbours, the Worthington family, were all trapped inside. Instinctively, I started digging into the rubble with my bare hands.”
Betty Popkiss, air-raid survivor, speaking to the Independent, in The Blitz: Survivors’ stories.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Glad to hear that went well, Badwolf!   Hmmm … is there any way you could do some buying and selling on Ebay?   Things like individual Magic: The Gathering cards could do well.   Chaos Orb and Black Lotus STILL go for silly money … !   (YE GODS!   I could buy my flat for that!)

†        It’s ok, I’ve modified it, Debbi: it’s roads in the UK, of course.   (I’ve just looked up the price of a rare, collectible card, Debbi.   Dear GODS!)

3 comments:

  1. (1)1939(2)World War II (3) underground stations (4) steel panels(5)Morrison shelter.
    Thank you for the idea, I need to think of something, I registered for this geting paid for online surveys for either I'm using the wrong site or its load rubbish. I also looked for packaging from home jobs like pockets money but no luck at the moment. Thank you any ideas are appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! Yeah, I kind of figured the UK, but ... just thought I'd check. :-D

    1. 1939
    2. World War II
    3. the Underground
    4. steel panels
    5. the Morrison shelter

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1- 1939
    2- WW2
    3- Underground tube stations
    4- steel
    5- table????? I'm not sure about that one
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.