Pages

Sunday, 15 November 2020

Star Trek Discovery — Series 3 Episode 2 — Far from Home — A Review

14th November, 2020.


Right … 

It’s a Saturday night: and I’ve just spent the past few minutes, filling in forms on the NHS website.

No, I’m, not going to tell you why: frankly, I’d prefer to keep that one to myself.

It’s one of those rare, slightly embarrassing ones.

And, believe me, there’s not much that embarrasses me!

At any rate … ?

It’s Saturday: and I’ve just seen another episode of Star Trek: Discovery, Series three.

More tomorrow, folks!

~≈†≈~


15th November, 2020.

Right … it have to be said, I’m back … form dinner with my family … 

Which was rather nice: even though it did involve talking about the sad death of Des O’Connor.

Thoughtfully thinking … 

Well … all sorts: but mostly telling you about last night’s TV would be a good idea.

Yes: and as I’ve said last night?

I’ve seen episode two of Star Trek: Discovery’s third series.

~≈†≈~

Episode 2 — Far from Home — summarises the end of Season 2: from the view point of the USS Discovery, itself.

The pre-title sequence for the episode … ?

Showing us (temporary) Captain Saru (Doug Jones) and the rest of the crew slowly coming round in a failing ship: on a crash course for an asteroid … that courses the ship to crash on a nearby inhabited planet.

One that Ensign Tilly (Mary Wiseman) tells Saru, is inhabited.

By intelligent life … 

By intelligent life that could well have Rubindium the crew needs to carry out a lot of vital repairs … 

There’s only one option: much to the disgust of Section 31 member, Philippa Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh).

Make first contact with the planets inhabitants … whilst avoiding any trouble … 

~≈†≈~

Now … what did I make of this episode … ?

Hmm … 

I’ve had Far from Home on for the second time: whilst I’ve been writing this review.

When I watched it, last night?

I wasn’t necessarily stunned by the episode.

I honestly couldn’t tell you why, either: I suspect my ever murky mood had something to do with it.

Going through it, again, tonight … ?

Was a far better experience, to be honest.

Saying that … ?

Saying that, I’m thinking that That Hope Is You — the first episode of series three, and the one I saw last week — is the better episode.

It’s certainly the more optimistic, I think.

With that said?   Far from Home is still a good episode: possibly one with a telegraphed happy ending, but certainly one that’s adding to the world building, and has reunited the crew.

Frankly?

I’ll be watching another episode next week.

I hope you’d care to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.