18th August, 2026.“The Sirens of Titan”.The Introduction.
It’s Tuesday.
And … ?
There’s a Genius playlist going on in the background.
One that includes Harold Faltermeyer’s “Axel F”, if you were curious.
To top things off … ?
There’s sausages cooking as well.
A body has to eat, you know: especially if it’s planning what I’m planning.
Yep: it’s Tuesday.
So, once I’ve eaten, I’m going to be watching “The Sirens of Titan”, the next episode of For All Mankind.
Hopefully?
It’s tell me exactly how last week’s cliffhanger is resolved!
Part One.The Summary.
Episode 7 — “The Sirens of Titan” is set some six months after “No Sudden Moves”: and shows us the Kelly Baldwin (Cynthy Wu) and the rest of the crew of the Sojourner as they head for the Saturnian Moon, Titan.
As they head for the moon?
The Sojourner crew are in contact with the crew of the Kuragin ship, Kosmos 1: as the latter ship is aerobraking its way to Titan … only to lose radio contact, as Kosmos 1 is captured by Saturn’s gravity …
After the opening credits?
We are shown that Alex and Lily (Sean Kaufman and Ruby Cruz) are working in one of Happy Valley’s Agridomes: discussing their respective families, the loss of the Kosmos 1, Alex’s upcoming birthday.
Meanwhile … ? The interim Martian government — led by Lily’s father, Miles (Tony Kebbell) — is having one of its regular cabinet meetings: wondering where the remaining Martian Peacekeepers have vanished to, wondering exactly how much they have in the way of rations … and wondering how, exactly, to get those colonists who no longer with to remain, home.
Whilst Miles and the council, talk?
Dev Ayesha (Edi Gathegi) is dealing with Sheriff James (Myk Watford): who’s been organising the theft of Happy Valley’s increasingly rare medical supplies.
Dev … ?
Wants to use the supplies as a bargaining chip.
We see Governor Polivanov (Costa Ronin) is facing his own problems: his wife has publicly denounced him, back on Earth … but has also given him a secret message, slipped past the KGB by an unsuspecting camera crew.
With everything else that’s happening … ?
The fact Lily has organised a birthday party for Alex is almost besides the point.
Pointless, or otherwise, the party goes well: until Alex … notices a crack in the ceiling …
~≈🪐≈~
19th August, 2026.Part Two.Initial Thoughts.
Now … what did I see in this episode?
What did I think of an episode that shows us many things?
Let’s start with … the opening.
The episode’s cold opening shows us the two ships heading for Titan: and showing us the effects on the surviving ship when the other is lost.
The episode opens with an utter tragedy, in other words.
In the main part of the episode?
The last episode, “No Sudden Moves”, ended with President Bragg’s threat to embargo the Happy Valley base.
“The Sirens of Titan” doesn’t show us the see the immediate results.
We’re shown a story that starts six months after the Embargo: and see how the SDM council, the Sons and Daughters of Mars-led cabinet, have been dealing with the situation.
They’re coping well: with help.
But very aware that help could be withdrawn at any minute.
So we get a note of tension, from the start.
The tension is racked up still further, when we’re shown that the Martian Peacekeepers have their own agenda: and are raiding Happy Valley of much needed medical supplies: with the cooperation of Dev Ayesha …
The apparent final nail in the coffin comes with the crack that Alex notices first.
That crack in the dome is no accident, is the result of enemy action … and has affected others agridomes.
An action that leaves Happy Valley with just two weeks food.
Is this episode proving tense?
Seen loss of life?
Seen an bad situation get worse?
Oh, yes … !
~≈🪐≈~
Part Three.There’s More.
There is plenty more happening in this episode.
More than I could possibly tell you about.
But one thing I did notice, was Alex’s party.
There’s the inevitable teasing: and a big dance routine, organised by Lily.
One that’s inevitably interrupted by a (seemingly) disapproving Lee Jung-Gil (C. S. Lee): who shakes his head, disapprovingly … before breaking into a reasonably good imitation of the Oppan Gangnam Style dance.
I’m not surprised, some how.
The character is supposed to be Korean, after all, much PSY, himself.
It’s a nicely presented piece of fluff: before the lightning strikes …
~≈🪐≈~
20th August, 2026.Part Four.Finally.
So …
What did I think of “The Sirens of Titan”?
I think it’s almost obligatory to say this: For All Mankind is a good series, one that’s a good mix of both human and political drama.
“The Sirens of Titans” is carrying on that tradition: with the saddest of cold opens, a main story that is truly tense …
And a suitably happy ending that will last … until the next episode.
“The Sirens of Titan” is very impressive: impressive enough for me to come back next week.
“The Sirens of Titan”★★★★
~≈🪐≈~
Part Five.The Last Word.
With all that said, that’s where I’ll be leaving things: having watched a very tension filled episode.
I’ll be watching the next episode, “Brave New World”, on Tuesday.
I’m looking for to see if the episode’s as upbeat as the title: whilst being aware the Huxley novel of the same name is quite dark.
In the meantime?
Feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel, feel free to tip, feel free to try the Daily Teasers …
And if you’ve enjoyed what I’m doing … ?
Come back, next week.
I’ll see you then.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when someone comments. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively grown up. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable. I also like seeing folks webpages.