Pages

Saturday, 19 March 2011

The Daily Teaser …

Bleaugh …

I hate Saturday mornings …

Mind you, I’ve also got to admit, I’m also usually not one for Red Nose Nose Day.

Mind you … they do usually do a Dr Who special, every so often: which I actually missed, last night.

Because I was was watching the repeat of The Time Of Angels on BBC 3 …

Thank heavens for YouTube is all I can add … !

As it turns out … ?

The two mini-episodes were rather fun: thank heavens for Steven Moffat’s habit of knocking out a good one … !

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

««•»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi and Kaiju putting in their answers: it also saw both — facing the fiddly question 5 — bagging 6 out of six. Both Kaiju and Debbi managed to highlight that one, and it’s associated Wikipedia page … ! And, yes, chaps, I meant March, in question 6! I think, Kaiju, you’re not the only one needing to remember glasses … !

Lets see how they — and you and me — do with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 19th March, 1920, saw the US Senate reject the Treaty of Versailles: was this for the first, second or third time … ?

Q2) 19th March, 1987, saw Jam Bakker resign one of his post over an ongoing sex-scandal: the man he handed the post to, Jerry Falwell, once famously accused Tinky Winky the Teletubby of being what … ?

Q3) 19th March, 1976, saw Buckingham Palace announce the divorce of whom … ?

Q4) 19th March, 1992, saw Buckingham Palace announce the divorce of whom … ?

Q5) And finally … 19th March, 2002, saw which African nation suspended from the Commonwealth, for electoral fraud and human rights abuses … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers. I was counting the various forms of French used on the Channel Islands as one language, and Scots and Ulster Scot under English, as an old neighbour of mine — a qualified linguist and philologist — did likewise* …
Q1) 18th March, 1950, saw the government of which European country collapse, after voting for its king, Leopold 3rd, return from exile … ?
A1) Belgium.

Q2) 18th March, 1992, saw which African nation vote for major government reform … ?
Q2) South Africa.

Q3) 18th March, 1989, saw a buried mummy found near which of the three main pyramids of the Giza Necropolis … ?
A3) The Great Pyramid: or Great Pyramid of Khufu/Cheops.

Q4) 18th March, 2003, saw what recognised as an official British language … ?
A4) British Sign Language.

Q5) More to the point, how many languages are native to the British Isles … ? (Not counting Scots or Ulster Scots, both descended from Northumbrian English, but counting the dialects of French spoken on the Channel Isles as just one language … )
A5) Eight. English, Irish Gaelic, Scots Gaelic, Welsh, Manx, Cornish, Jersey Legal French, the standardised version … and British Sign Language. (I’m counting the four or five dialects of French as one language: )

Q6) And finally … 18th March, 37 AD, saw the Roman Senate proclaim who as Roman Emperor … ?
A6) Caligula.
Enjoy those, everyone, I’ll catch you later …





* As I recall, he also claimed that there was a lot of argument about line between dialect and language …

2 comments:

  1. Q1 - THIRD!
    Q2 - FAIRY!
    Q3 - THE QUEEN!
    Q4 - THE QUEEN AGAIN!
    Q5 - SAVANA?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. second time
    2. homosexual
    3. Princess Margaret and Lord Snowden
    4. The Duke and Duchess of York (Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, aka, Fergie :))
    5. Zimbabwe

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.