Pages

Saturday, 26 March 2011

The Daily Teaser …

Bleaugh …

And possibly double bleaugh … !

I think I hate feeling this tired.

The irony is … ?

That I think I managed to get a comparatively early night, last night. Complete with a copy of John Wyndham’s The Kraken Wakes.

Riveting stuff: I know Brian Aldiss refered to Wyndham’s work as “cosy catastrophes”, but usually I find Wyndham’s work jogs along at a nice pace.

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Before I start using words like ‘premise’ … !

»»•««

Yesterday’s Teaser was quiet dashed quiet: and saw no-one having a go at it!

Lets hope that changes: here’s today’s changes, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 26th March, 1839, saw the first Henley Royal what, held … ?

Q2) Nine years’ earlier, 26th March, 1830, saw the first publication of what, in New York … ?

Q3) 26th March, 1991, saw Mercosur — the Southern Common Market — established by the signing of the Treaty of Asunción: name any of the four South American countries that signed the Treaty of Asunción.

Q4) 26th March, 1973, saw which London institution admit women to its trading floor … ?

Q5) And finally … 26th March, 1940, saw the birth of the amateur Rodeo rider known variously as either ‘The Kosher Cowboy’, or ‘The Jewish Cowboy’: who is he … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 25th March, 1975, saw the death — by assassination — of King Faisal: which Middle Eastern country was he king of … ?
A1) Saudi Arabia.

Q2) 25th March, 1655, saw astronomer, Christiaan Huygens, discover Titan: Titan is the largest moon of which planet … ?
Q2) Saturn.

Q3) 25th March, 2001, saw the death of test pilot, Brian Trubshawe: which supersonic plane did he famously act as pilot for … ?
A3) Concorde.

Q4) 25th March, 1811, saw which poet expelled from Oxford, after publishing a pamphlet about atheism … ?
A4) Percy Shelley.

Q5) 25th March, 1807, saw the Swansea and Mumbles Railway become the first passenger-carrying railway in the world: it broke world records for using how many forms of traction, during the years of operation … ?
A5) Six: horse-drawn, sail power, steam power, electric power, petrol and diesel.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later …


1 comment:

  1. 1. Regatta
    2. The Book of Mormon
    3. Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay
    4. the London Stock Exchange
    5. James Caan

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.