Pages

Wednesday, 20 July 2011

The Daily Teaser: 20-7-11

Hmmmm …

You know, it’s kind of nice to able say I’ve got a documentary on, that I recorded, last night.

You’ve probably worked out who the documentary’s about, can’t you … ?

Dear Ol’ Uncle Joe

And, ok, granted, I think most of us know it.

But sometimes, it’s nice to able able to be reminded of what you know.

I mean … I have to give him credit for turn the USSR — as Russia was, back then — into the industrial powerhouse that it is, today.

But, my word, the cost he made Russia pay, along the way … ?

Well …

I’m fairly sure many Russians would have quite a lot to say about one of only three World-War-Two era dictators to still be in post, after the war.*

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, lets

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser say Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with bagging 5 out of 5, also managed to spot the jammie dodger reference in yesterday’s Teaser videoº.

Lets see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 20th July, 1969, saw humanity first land on the Moon: at which time, UTC … ?

Q2) 20th July, 1928, saw the government of which country order Romani to settle in one part of the country … ?

Q3) 20th July, 1975, saw journalists from The Times, The Daily Telegraph and Newsweek expelled from which country … ?

Q4) 20th July, 1944, saw the US Congress approve the Bretton Woods Agreement. This help set up what: the I. M. F, the U. N. H. C. R, or the W. H. O … ?

Q5) 20th July, 1960, saw Sirimavo Bandaranaike become the first female Prime Minister of Sri Lanka: what does Sri Lanka translate into English as … ?

Q6) And finally … 20th July, 1975, saw the death of actor and martial artist, Li Jun Fan. How was he better known … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 19th July, 1832, saw the founding of the Provincial Medical and Surgical Association: how is that organisation now known … ?
A1) The British Medical Association.

Q2) Some years later, 19th July, 1879, saw the first killing by which dentist … ?
Q2) John Henry Doc Holliday.

Q3) 19th July, 1976, saw the birth of Sherlock Holmes actor, Benedict Cumberbatch: name either of the characters he is to play in the upcoming Hobbit movies …
A3) Smaug the Dragon, and the Necromancer: Sauron, in other words …

Q4) 19th July, 1997, saw the IRA announce a cease-fire: who was Britain’s Northern Ireland Secretary, at the time … ?
A4) Mo Mowlam, MP.

Q5) And finally … 19th July, 1843, saw the launch of the SS Great Britain, the world’s (then) largest ship. From which British city … ?
A5) Bristol.
Enjoy those, everyone. I’ll catch you all later.

After I’ve left you with the Pistol’s (Oh, You) Silly Things. As it’s Paul Cook’s birthday …









* General Franco of Spain and Antonio Salazar of Portugal being the others.

º Yeah, you did, Debbi: Matt Smith in point of fact. (Handbrake, a DVD recorder … oh, and copies of Audacity and MPEG Streamclip. Oh … And iMovie … !)

1 comment:

  1. Paul, you are a tech wizard. I, OTOH, am a complete techno-idiot. :) I could never pull off half the stuff you seem to manage easily. Well done! :)

    1. 20:17:40
    2. Czechoslovakia
    3. India
    4. I.M.F.
    5. resplendent land (in Sanskrit)
    6. Bruce Lee

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.