Pages

Saturday, 9 July 2011

The Daily Teaser: 9-7-11

Hmmmm …

You know, I’ve got to admit, I’ve woken up, today, with a song floating around my head.

Strange, I know, but these things happen.

Today … ?

The song in question’s been This Is Helena, from Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark’s 1983 album, Dazzle Ships.

And I’ve got to admit, it’s a shame that album didn’t do better than it did.

I think it may have been a touch to experimental for most.

If you get the chance … ?

Go have a listen.

It’s worth a go ’round, it really is … !

»»·««

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, lets.

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Debbi and Alexandra putting in their answers: with Alexandra bagging 2 1/2 and Debbi bagging 6, it also saw Alexandra admitting to guessing — we can tell, Alexandra! — and Debbi giving us her sources about Kim Il Sung, and her post on the last flight of the Atlantis.

Lets see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 9th July, 1850, saw the death of the prophet known as the Bab: in which modern religion is he considered one of three central figures … ? (And I’m not talking about Babism, the one named for him… )

Q2) 9th July, 1958, saw Lituya Bay, on the coast of Alaska, hit by the world’s (then) largest what … ?

Q3) 9th July, 1955, saw Bertrand Russell publish the Russell-Einstein Manifesto: what did the Manifesto highlight the dangers of: nuclear weapons, genetic engineering or the Internet … ?

Q4) 9th July, 1922, saw who break the 100 Metre Freestyle record?

Q5) And finally … 9th July, 1962, saw which Andy Warhol work famously go on display … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and and answers …
Q1) 8th July, 1965, saw Great Train Robber, Ronnie Biggs, escape from HMP Wandsworth, in London: what does HMP stand for … ?
A1) Her Majesties Prison.

Q2) In which South American country did Biggs spend many years … ?
Q2) Brazil.

Q3) 8th July saw airplane makes, Boeing unveil which new model of plane … ?
A3) The Boeing 787.

Q4) 8th July, 1994, saw the death of North Korean leader, Kim Il-sung: what title is he referred to, in North Korea … ?
A4) The Great Leader: he’s ALSO designated as the Eternal President in the North Korean constitution.

Q5) 8th July, 1874, saw members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police begin what’s known as the March West: which Canadian province were they heading for … ?
A5) Alberta. (Pointless trivia for you, the RCMP are — technically — Gendarmerie: in other words, they’re technically soldiers, employed as police in a civilian population.)

Q6) And finally … 8th July, 1889, saw the first publication of which financial paper … ?
A6) The Wall Street Journal.
Enjoy those, everyone: now, as it’s Debbi’s birthday, I’ll leave you all with a tune …



1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a brilliant video, Paul! :)

    I'm going to add those chaps to my iTunes collection. :-)

    Thanks for thinking of me on my birthday. That was very kind. :-)

    1. the Bahá'í Faith
    2. a wave
    3. nuclear weapons
    4. Johnny Weissmuller
    5. Campbell's Soup Cans

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.