Pages

Thursday, 22 December 2011

The Daily Teaser - 22-12-2011

You know, I’ve GOT admit, I couldn’t resist putting up that photo of Jude.

Sweet, isn’t it … ?

Although I’ve got to admit, I SWEAR I know what he’s thinking, there.

It’s very probably something along the lines of “Oh, LORDY, what’s Mummy got me dressed up as, NOW?”

Hmmm …

You know, I might just be tempted to put up the funny I did of that.

Maybe …

Let’s get moving on, shall we? Before I bore everyone to tears with the proud uncle routine.

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with admitting severe gnarlyness*, ALSO bagging 6 out of.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with todays questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) This year’s Winter Solstice is on the 22nd December: when did it LAST occur on the 22nd … ?

Q2) More to the point, in which country were celebrations held in honour of Ameratsu — and the requiems for the dead held — on the Winter Solstice … ?

Q3) In which part of India is the Solstice celebrated as Lohri?

Q4) Moving on … 22nd December, 1965, saw the UK government set up a maximum speed limit: what was that limit … ?

Q5) 22nd December, 1972, saw 14 survivors of a crashed Chilean plane, discovered in the Andes: what was the name of the film — and book — about this incident … ?

Q6) 22nd December, 2002, saw the death of singer and guitarist, Joe Strummer: what was the name of his 1970s era, punk band … ?

Q7) And finally … 22nd December, 1956, saw the birth of the first gorilla born in captivity: what was that gorilla’s name … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 21st December, 1962, saw Britain agree to buy Polaris missiles from the USA: who was US president at the time … ?
A1) John F. Kennedy.

Q2) More to the point, who was British Prime Minister … ?
A2) Harold Macmillan.

Q3) 21st December, 1958, saw who win the French Presidential elections … ?
A3) General Charles de Gaulle.

Q4) 21st December, 1879, saw the world premiere of A Doll’s House: who wrote A Doll’s House?
A4) Henrik Ibsen.

Q5) While we’re talking about world premieres, 21st December, 1937, saw the world premiere of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: which German pair published the original German folk-story … ?
A5) Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm.

Q6) And finally … 21st December is the Feast day of Saint Thomas the Apostle: Doubting Thomas, in other words: roughly translated into English, what does the name Thomas mean … ?
A6) Twin.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with a tune, in memory of Mr J. Strummer …






* Remind me to tell you about Gnarly ground, at some point, Debbi … !

2 comments:

  1. Gnarly ground. Looks interesting. I'm currently reading 3 books for Mystery Scene that I need to review by Jan. 13. So, that'll keep me busy for the next few weeks. I'm keen to read another Discworld novel as soon as I can, though. :)

    1. 2010
    2. Japan
    3. Punjab and other parts of northern India
    4. 70 mph (113 km/h)
    5. Miracle in the Andes
    6. The Clash
    7. Colo

    ReplyDelete
  2. THREE! Blimey, someone’s busy … !

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.