(Originally Posted on Nik Nak & Grub’s Who Peculiar, 21 September 2011 22:29:00)
Now, wait a minute, Hang ON … !
I’m not — despite what Grub may say later — impressed.
Really.
I’m not.
You see, I’ve caught something on TV, and not impressed.
No.
I’m stunned.
Stunned, I should maybe say.
Although, being honest … ?
That means I’m missing a VERY good chance to use the phrase, ‘gobsmacked’ … !
‹‹•››
Right …
You’re probably what the hell I’m burbling on about, now, aren’t you … ?
I’ll be frank … ?
I’ve just seen the first episode of BBC3’s new supernatural drama series, The Fades. And been frantically tweeting about it, as well, along with quite a few other people!
And I think I can safely say I’ve thoroughly enjoyed what I’ve seen!
After a frantic pre-title teaser, that sees a woman called Sarah being killed, Episode 1 of The Fades sees two schoolfriend, the deeply troubled Paul and his friend Mac on something of a dare, to an abandoned town centre shopping mall: in the belief that it’s been used by a film company to make a horror flick. A film company that’s maybe left a few bits and bobs lieing around.
During that opening few minutes, the pair become separated.
Which is where Paul meets a mysterious figure that he only later finds out is called Neil.
A mysterious figure who immediately starts threatening Paul with a loaded handgun …
And who only stops shooting …
When a body comes through the roof of the basement.
‹‹•››
Now …
I was saying about gobsmacked, earlier … ?
Too damn RIGHT I was gobsmacked!
You see, I’m thinking that this opening episode of The Fades is quite possibly one of the best openers I’ve seen in a very long time.
I’d put it somewhere on a par with Rose, the opener for Christopher Ecclestone’s one and only season as Dr Whoº.
It shoves us — hurly-burly — into the middle of things, introduces us to its main characters and how they relate to each other: and explains the shows premise* in a way that doesn’t feel patronising or preachy.
‹‹•››
Hang on, lemme just have some of this tea that’s going cold at me …
‹‹•››
That’s better … !
Now, where was I … ?
Yeah …
Episode 1!
Now …
I’ve told you I’ve enjoyed this, haven’t I … ?
And I suspect — although I could be wrong, granted — that Grub will have done, as well.
Or, at least, by the time he sees it. (He happily admitted he’s got his long term girlfriend, over, tonight.)
After all … ?
The Fades had us happily nattering about it in Brentwood Library, today.
And both happily admitting it looked good.
I think I can safely say tonight’s first episode … ?
Both lives up to the hype.
AND has me wondering why the BBC put it BBC3 …
When The Fades has so easily outclassed The Body Farm, on BBC1 …
* The fades of the title are — according to Neil — the souls of those who’ve died, but, for some unknown reason, can‘t get through to where-ever they’re supposed to go to next: they’re seemingly stuck here, on Earth, and become bitter and angry as a result.
º I couldn’t help but feel this way, in part, because Neil’s first word to Paul, mirroring the Doctor’s to Rose, in that episode: “RUN!”
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.