Pages

Sunday, 19 February 2012

The Daily Teaser - 19-2-2012

I have got to admit, I’m actually up, late, this morning.

But I’ll admit to having something of a late night, last night.

Family Chinese take-out at mothers: which, of course, involves a certain amount of nephew-hugging.

Jude, bless him, has a toothbrush he’s fascinated by: he spent some time, last night, brushing my teeth for me.

On top of that … ?

Bless, the family had bought me an early birthday present, an Apple trackpad that I’ve now set up, and am getting used to.

That’ll take a while, I think.

It is RATHER responsive … !

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, let’s …

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi — making a very good point about Hitler* — putting in her answers: and bagging 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 19th February, 1878, saw Thomas Alva Edison patent the phonograph: were the records played on this phonograph circular, spherical or cylindrical … ?

Q2) More to the point, in which US state was Edison’s lab, Menlo Park … ?

Q3) 19th February, 1949, saw the first Bollingen Prize In Poetry award to which US poet … ?

Q4) 19th February, 1968, saw damages awarded to children who suffered damage because of which drug … ?

Q5) 19th February, 1915, saw the first naval attacks on the Dardanelles: who is this campaign now known … ?

Q6) And finally … 19th February, 356, saw Emperor Constantius 2nd issue a decree that closed all what: brothels, wine shops, or pagan temples … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 18th February, 1954, saw the first Church of what open, in Los Angeles … ?
A1) Scientology.

Q2) More to the point, which writer started that Church … ?
A2) L. Ron Hubbard.

Q3) 18th February, 1954, also saw US Army Secretary, Robert T. Stevens, order two generals ignore a summons to face whom … ?
A3) Senator Joe McCarthy and the Senate’s Permanent Investigations sub-committee.

Q4) 18th February, 1969, saw pop singer Lulu get married to which member of the Bee Gees … ?
A4) Maurice Gibb.

Q5) 18th February, 1996, saw three people killed after a bomb went off on a London bus: which terrorist group had set that bomb … ?
A5) The IRA.

Q6) And finally … 18th February, 1885, saw the first US publication of Twain’s Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn: along which river is the book set … ?
A6) The Mississippi River.
Enjoy those, everyone. Let’s have a jolly tune from birthday boy, Dave Wakeling, shall we … ?














* I know exactly what you mean, there, Debbi: I always find watching some of the documentaries about it very depressing. And as for The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas looks like a film requiring many hankies. Maybe a whole sheet. :)

    There's an Irish author I follow on Twitter named @CarenKennedy, who called me an aul softy. I think she's onto something. :)

    1. cylindrical
    2. New Jersey
    3. Ezra Pound
    4. thalidomide
    5. the Gallipoli campaign
    6. pagan temples

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.