Pages

Wednesday, 29 February 2012

The Daily Teaser - 29-2-2012

Hmmm …

You realise it’s the 29th February, don’t you … ?

I do … !

And I know it’s only once every four years, but, Lordy, writing that was fiddly.

Well …

No fiddlier — fiddlyer … ? No, my spellchecker’s objecting — than usual: but with only a quarter of the news, births, deaths, marriages and quotes.

But certainly with an interesting superstition or two, along the way.

Oh …

And the introduction of the Raspberry Pi, today. Which is either a really radical piece of educational kit, or a piece of technology that’s thirty years two late.

Oh, well. At least the BBC World Service is 80, today. Although one has to ask.

How did they work THAT out … ?

Let’s get moving on, shall we …

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi giving us a quick update*, and bagging 6 out of 6: and commenting on the state of Washington DCª’s walls.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 29th February is a Leap Day: leap days are needed because the Earth’s orbit is roughly how much longer than the calendar year: half a day, a third of a day or a quarter of a day?

Q2) The Gregorian calendar that sees this happened is designed to keep the vernal equinox near which date: 21st March, 21st June or 21st September?

Q3) 2012 is a leap year: when was the last leap year … ?

Q4) When was the first leap year of the 21st century … ?

Q5) In which year is the LAST leap year of the 21st century … ?

Q6) According to an old British tradition, 29th February is the one date of the year a woman is allowed to do what … ?

Q7) When was the last leap second added to the clocks … ?

Q8) In The Twelve Days of Christmas, how many lords a’leaping are there … ?

Q9) The Summer Olympics are usually held in a leap year: in which European city are they being held, this year … ?

Q10) And FINALLY … What’s the name of the French magazine that’s only published on the 29th February … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 28th February, 1784, saw a Methodist Church chartered by whom … ?
A1) John Wesley.

Q2) 28th February, 1935, saw Wallace Carothers invent which famously artificial substance … ?
A2) Nylon.

Q3) More to the point, name either of the cities that substance named after … ?
A3) New York and London.

Q4) 28th February, 1959, saw the launch of Discoverer 1: the first satellite to go into what: equatorial orbit, geostationary orbit or polar orbit … ?
A4) Polar orbit.

Q5) 28th February, 1991, saw a ceasefire declared, as war ends in which Middle Eastern country … ?
A5) Iraq: this is the formal end of the 1st Gulf War.

Q6) And finally … 28th February, 1954, saw the first colour TV sets — using the NTSC system — go on sale in the US: what does NTSC stand for … ?
A6) National Television Systems Committee.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later …














* I don’t know how you managed it, Debbi, but you managed to put a smile on my face, there. Just with the shear style … ! :D

ª Of course you wouldn’t, Debbi. Absolutely! (Now … where did we put the spray paint and V masks … ?)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! :D I'm so glad the post made you smile.

    Grab the spray paint and the masks and let's go. :)

    1. a quarter of a day
    2. 21st March
    3. 2008
    4. 2004
    5. 2096
    6. propose marriage to a man
    7. 31 Dec. 2008
    8. 10
    9. London
    10. La Bougie du Sapeur aka The Sapper's Candle

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.